• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering Fast Food & Chains Now Closed

I have friends living in Bellflower. I remember Chris and Pitts. Didnt they sell their BBQ sauce in supermarkets.?
My grandparents lived in Temple city, just down the street from Winchells. I met some lifetime friends at the cruise nights held a century ago at the Winchell in Monrovia.
There's a yum yum donuts around the corner from my place in Claremont. Not bad donuts, but overpriced.

I have friends living in Bellflower. I remember Chris and Pitts. Didnt they sell their BBQ sauce in supermarkets.?
My grandparents lived in Temple city, just down the street from Winchells. I met some lifetime friends at the cruise nights held a century ago at the Winchell in Monrovia.
There's a yum yum donuts around the corner from my place in Claremont. Not bad donuts, but overpriced.

Yes. My mom bought Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce at the supermarket all the time.

Not impressed with Winchells or Yum-Yum. But I like real good bakery level donuts or nothing.

In your area IMHO that’s The Donut Man in Glendora.

In my area it’s Rolling Pin Donuts in Camarillo, CA

I have always wondered why people in Central California call it Northern California??
Wouldn't Northern California be Redding, Weed, Mt Shast area??
I agree with you. I grew up in the SF Bay Area. Alturas is Northern California.

Yes. My mom bought Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce at the supermarket all the time.

Not impressed with Winchells or Yum-Yum. But I like real good bakery level donuts or nothing.

In your area IMHO that’s The Donut Man in Glendora.

In my area it’s Rolling Pin Donuts in Camarillo, CA
The Donut man, are they on Grand ave. in the Stater bros complex? Worked around the corner, bought lots of glazed for breakfast there! Great donuts, good prices, nice people! Would have destroyed a yum yum next door.

Yep, A&W still going strong in Quebec.
We used to have one in the Burlington Mall (Massachusetts) but that’s long gone. I never see them in the states anymore.
Come on down to Roswell for the UFO
festival, and dine at the A&W.

The Donut man, are they on Grand ave. in the Stater bros complex? Worked around the corner, bought lots of glazed for breakfast there! Great donuts, good prices, nice people! Would have destroyed a yum yum next door.

915 East Route 66, Glendora, CA 91740

1656389897747.png

View attachment 1304743
IndustryFast-food restaurants
Founded1959; 63 years ago
FounderHerbert Wetanson
Defunct1975; 47 years ago
FateClosed
HeadquartersNew York, California, U.S
Number of locations~70 (at its peak)
ProductsHamburgers

Wetson's was an American fast food hamburger chain that existed from 1959 to 1975. At its peak, Wetson's had approximately 70 locations in the greater New York metropolitan area.

Wetson's was known for its signature burger, the "Big W", as well as 15-cent burgers, 10-cent fries, and the slogans "Look for the Orange Circles" and "Buy a bagful",[1] phrases similar to the McDonald's slogan "Look for the Golden Arches" and White Castle's "Buy 'em by the sack". Wetson's also had two clown mascots in the style of McDonald's Ronald McDonald, named Wetty (female) and Sonny (male).[2] The "Big W" was similar to today's McDonald's Big Mac. Wetsons also sold breakfast sandwiches.

Our Saturday night special when I was a kid
1656390298658.png
Thank you, thank you, thank you !!! THIS PLACE WAS THE BEST !!! We'd go to the one on the corner of Queens Boulevard & Woodhaven Boulevard. They had the BEST cheeseburgers EVER , and they were the best whether you were sober or loaded. The place to go after weekend street racing, or out partying all night. I have a personal story about this place that can't go into print. Thank you for posting this !

There seems to be one in most of the malls around here.

We think we are too cool for malls around here. Now they are "open air"

There was and Orange Julius in Fast Times Ridgemont High (AKA Sherman Oaks Galleria). And that was the only one I remember in the malls around here.

The "Sir Fish & Chips" in the movie was a former H Salt Fish and Chips.... Remember those? Somehow there's still H Salt's around, mostly California?

1656391264029.png

Last edited:
We still have a couple churches here, you just have to drive to the "classy" areas of sac. Theres a shakeys out in oroville too.

We have Church's Chicken around here also...though you would have to areas of Chiraq to get it. :rolleyes:

The ONLY one around here, that I "might" get a real hankering for is In-N-Out..they've gone hand-in-hand with the hot-rodding culture here which might be part of the reason for their appeal. They've always offered these "Dave Snyder-esque" T-shirts, many times with a great Mopar Musclecar featuring prominently on the back.
Of course, back in "the day" we would get their bumper stickers and modify them to read "IN-N-Out Urge" hahaha
Cali guys know what I'm talkin' about!

This is the only one of their shirts left in my closet at the moment....No B-bods like many of the others I've had through the years but, oh well!
View attachment 1305252

Back in the late 60s, early 70s we had a coffee shop on Springs Road in Vallejo that was our go to spot. MrEds. It was right on the main drag. Good ole coffee shop burgers along with really good coffee. Open 24hrs
its a Chinese place now.

There were Orange Julius's
in SunValley Mall, Concord Ca
& Sunrise Mall, Sacramento Ca

We have Church's Chicken around here also...though you would have to areas of Chiraq to get it. :rolleyes:
There were 'Church's Fried Chicken' all up & down 'East 14th Steet'
usually the 'west side' of the road, usually in the 'low rent' areas
especially in the SF east bay, down to the south bay area
along a long *** road thru/near many inner-citys
Oakland on E-14th around 98th ave. (I think it was 'burned down')
& at least 4 others I knew of in Oakland alone
(really 'sketchy area' at the time, still is in some areas)
all the way thru El Sobrante Berkeley Albany El Cerrito Richmond
& all the way down to ElCamino Real (the royal road) in San Jose

Back in the late 60s, early 70s we had a coffee shop on Springs Road in Vallejo that was our go to spot. MrEds. It was right on the main drag. Good ole coffee shop burgers along with really good coffee. Open 24hrs
its a Chinese place now.
You mean the hard workers? LOL

There were 'Church's Fried Chicken' all up & down 'East 14th Steet'
usually the 'west side' of the road, usually in the 'low rent' areas
especially in the SF east bay, down to the south bay area
along a long *** road thru/near many inner-citys
Oakland on E-14th around 98th ave. (I think it was 'burned down')
& at least 4 others I knew of in Oakland alone
(really 'sketchy area' at the time, still is in some areas)
all the way thru El Sobrante Berkeley Albany El Cerrito Richmond
& all the way down to ElCamino Real (the royal road) in San Jose
Wasn’t there one down by Fremont?

Auto Transport Service
Back