• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remembering Fast Food & Chains Now Closed

State College had a Roy Rogers in a prime location in the early '70s when I was attending Penn State. Used to get a burger and a roast beef sandwich after workouts for a snack when I was a power lifter with the barbell club. Always remember the guy who lifted super heavyweight would eat five to my two, I was a lightweight competing at 148. Best beef you could imagine, still savor it if I get on the PA Turnpike. Kind of like a GTX or Charger R/T today, scarce but great if you can find one. Back then, students actually had to work for spending money, so competition for jobs was stiff when PSU was in session. Roy Rogers ran an ad in the local newspaper, asking potential applicants if they considered themselves "physically attractive." For fast food work, I kid you not. And they meant it - the servers were all incredible lookers, way better than the dancers in the local bars. No skin, but mini skirts with snugly fitted tops, always suntan pantyhose, never bare legs, and white cowgirl boots with high heels. If I wasn't looking at the girls while indulging in my exquisite meal, I was taking in the Chargers and Road Runners driving by on the main street, driven by students who had way more dough than a guy like me who drove a '67 Valiant and lived with his parents.

Gino's made a sort-of comeback. There was one in Aberdeen, Glen Burnie, Perry Hall, and Towson, Joppa Rd near where Bendix used to be. ( A few of MaMopar's radios came out of there. ) One person owned Aberdeen and Perry Hall, those two locations didn't make it. The Gino Giant tastes the same! Pricey, compared to Burger King.

Frederick MD, Hagerstown too. Actually a bunch of locations. I try to get lunch when out that way.

I'm very happy to see the comeback of RR!
Sadly, nowhere within a country mile of me....

Back in the 70s there was a Jack in the Box in Reisterstown MD. We partied in Westminster on the weekends and after everything closed up we'd head to Jack in the Box to fix our munchies. Boy it would hit the spot!

One day I was down that way around lunch time so I thought I'd stop in for a burger. Man was that food awful. I couldn't even eat it all. :lol:

Funny, this reminded me of--
Maid: "Buenas dias"
Fletch: " Buenas dias. Pup-n-Taco"

Fletch Lives quote:

Fletch: (flirting) Hey Betty, how about lunch at the In N' Out Burger?
Betty Dilworth: (disgusted) No.
Fletch: Okay, forget the burger, how about just the In N' Out?
(she sneers at him)
Fletch: Ok, how about just the In?

Lum's- no one remembers their famous "beer dogs"?
After I had one around age 15, I started copying them and they were a big success.
Post 51.
I do but we just always got the fried clams.
ATL has The Varsity with famous chilly hot dogs.
Have you ever "et" there?
It's a big thing after at GT football game.
(Go Yellow Jackets)
1656590188032.png

Mariott killed 'em - Mariott Corporation killed a LOT of classic fast food joints in their time.
View attachment 1304912
SW side myself.

Last edited:
Post 51.
I do but we just always got the fried clams.
ATL has The Varsity with famous chilly hot dogs.
Have you ever "et" there?
It's a big thing after at GT football game.
(Go Yellow Jackets)
View attachment 1306259

SW side myself.

I grew up in Atlanta. The Varsity was a once a year school field trip treat.
Of course, I always had the burger they're famous for - "The Varsity".
Last time was probably 1975...

I don't understand the "SW" comment however. S&W Cafeterias?

Interesting the post about what happened to Winchells doughnuts. Looks like the same thing happened to them that happened to Shakeys Pizza, i.e. got bought out by 'asians' who cheapened the product and they went mostly down the tubes, yet flourish in se asia and japan etc. The last real Shakeys I saw was in SoCal; I had just had lunch at In-N-Out, but saw the sign and the original style bldg, so I went in anyway. Talked to the mgr and he told me about the whole story and that this particular location [Monrovia] had been open since the late 50s and that they didnt get bought up as their franchise agreement was different/grandfathered in. He assured me that theirs was the same...so I ordered one. he was right! Less than a half dozen REAL Shakeys left in the US as I understand it.
I, personally, have a real soft spot in my heart for Shakeys - not only was it great pizza, but it was my first pizza ever. Remember it like yesterday...almost a religious experience...

Interesting the post about what happened to Winchells doughnuts. Looks like the same thing happened to them that happened to Shakeys Pizza, i.e. got bought out by 'asians' who cheapened the product and they went mostly down the tubes, yet flourish in se asia and japan etc. The last real Shakeys I saw was in SoCal; I had just had lunch at In-N-Out, but saw the sign and the original style bldg, so I went in anyway. Talked to the mgr and he told me about the whole story and that this particular location [Monrovia] had been open since the late 50s and that they didnt get bought up as their franchise agreement was different/grandfathered in. He assured me that theirs was the same...so I ordered one. he was right! Less than a half dozen REAL Shakeys left in the US as I understand it.
I, personally, have a real soft spot in my heart for Shakeys - not only was it great pizza, but it was my first pizza ever. Remember it like yesterday...almost a religious experience...

Much more that 1/2 dozen Shakey's left. Sounds like around 40 at least.

It was bought out by a old franchisee Jacmar Corp that already owned 19 successful locations. Bought their first one in 1964, and also grew to be a large foodservice company based locally in Alhambra. Not owned by Asians. https://jacmar.com/about-us/history/

The one near my elementary school has at least been around 40+ years. It's on a choice prime piece of real estate and Jacmar wants to tear it down and make 120 unit apartment complex. A lot of those around here have commercial on the ground level. So who knows, Shakey's might stay.

Hmmm Mr autoxcuda...I was told that Shakeys was bought in the early 70s by an asian company, hence the changes and the opening across asia. The company had an American sounding name but was based in manilla or something like that. Quick internet look - and I mean quick - shows that they were bought in 74 by an outfit called...already forgot. Family Food Services or something. What has happened since then I know not.
I was also told that there were about a half dozen REAL Shakeys left, i.e original recipes, original signage, original franchisee. There may well be many more, but I believe they are of the 'new Shakeys' type. The locations where I lived in the late 70s did the changes and were out of business almost immediately.

Hmmm Mr autoxcuda...I was told that Shakeys was bought in the early 70s by an asian company, hence the changes and the opening across asia. The company had an American sounding name but was based in manilla or something like that. Quick internet look - and I mean quick - shows that they were bought in 74 by an outfit called...already forgot. Family Food Services or something. What has happened since then I know not.
I was also told that there were about a half dozen REAL Shakeys left, i.e original recipes, original signage, original franchisee. There may well be many more, but I believe they are of the 'new Shakeys' type. The locations where I lived in the late 70s did the changes and were out of business almost immediately.

Then sold again in 2004 to Jacmar. That Asian based company may have kept the Asian located Shakey's stores. It's not clear on wiki.

Shakey's Pizza - Wikipedia

Detroit area: Farrell's, Burger Chef, Jack in the Box, Hardee's, The Clock, Arthur Treacher's, Roy Rogers, Shakey's Pizza, Biff's, Susie-Q and Top Hat (both below). I'm sure I missed many. (Elias Brothers Big Boy)

View attachment 1304857

View attachment 1304858

Susie-Q was the turn around point for a lot of us cruising Gratiot!
Shakey’s Pizza is alive and well in Commiefornia...

Auto Transport Service
Back