• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Power Steering Gearbox On A 70 RR "Tip" From A Mopar "Newbie"

soundhd

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Finally got my copy of the shop manual for my 70 RR(383, auto..my first Mopar). First job was to replace the power steering gear box.....well the shop manual has some "steps" missing on the removal.....you need to (I had to anyway) remove the starter motor and to remove the starter you need to drop the driver's side exhaust pipe......then the steering gear box almost "falls" out.......I tried everything to get it out without those two "extra" steps and would just not come out......and to be honest I do not see how it would be possible to get it back in with the starter in place......
Maybe you "pros" know of a way....anyway I would add those two steps to your shop manual.......
Hope this is not one of many missing steps in the shop manual.......

A Mopar "newbie"

Also had remove the oil dip stick tube to get it back in..........(nothin' is easy in life......lol)

When I did mine I just unhooked the slip coller, took off the piman arm took the bolt out of the motor mount and jacked up the motor and the box slid out.

yeah.... pulling motor mount bolts and moving the motor around will get to be something you can do in your sleep. I have to do it to: torque head bolts; remove starter; instal/remove headers (also part of starter service). I'm shopping for Velcro motor mounts........

Auto Transport Service
Back