• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement carpet question.

Michael789

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

My question is about carpet, out of all the resto photos I have seen on this site and on the internet in general all the Mopar replacement carpets are of a 2 piece design.My question is, did these cars come from the factory as a 2 piece design? I've not seen any one piece carpets for my 71 b body whatsoever, and is it possible to seem glue 2 into one?Thanks for any and all answers .

Mike

Yep that is factory. Was the same on my Chevelle as on my Charger, too.
I imagine it could be done gluing the two, possibly with trimming and some kind of backing on the underside of the seam. But honestly depending on the options your car came with (seats, console), hardly any of the seam will be visible with full interior installed. All you will really see is about a quarter inch wide strip of rubber along the edge of the top piece, from under the seat to the sill plate.

Please excuse the intrusion, but thought this thread would get views. Which is better fitting, molded carpeting or cut and sewn?.............................MO

Please excuse the intrusion, but thought this thread would get views. Which is better fitting, molded carpeting or cut and sewn?.............................MO

With all the contours I think the carpet really needs to be molded. Might be able to get standard carpet to conform better with some careful warming with a heat gun and using spray adhesive during install. But I can't say for sure and that sounds like a lot of work haha

I agree, I've used just carpet and fitted it to the car and it was "alright", with my current project (69 Charger) I bought a molded carpet set from Trim Parts and the fit is superb.

Molded carpet is better. Just remember that when you get it to lay it flat on the floor and let it "relax" for a day or two.

Molded carpet is better. Just remember that when you get it to lay it flat on the floor and let it "relax" for a day or two.

This is also useful advice for restorers..I have found that sometimes when the car is really stressing me, a few days relaxing on the floor is great! ;) I WISH!

Auto Transport Service
Back