• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Results with NO thermostat

T stat allows the engine coolant to warm engine blocking flow from the rad until it reaches 160 or 180 depending on the stat installed; of course a highly useful thing in cold weather to defrost and heat the cab. Some say without a stat coolant flows unimpeded flushing thru the rad so quickly the rad can't do its job to cool it. Once the stat is open that's it again aside from some benefits to have coolant flowing faster though that could be due to a clogged system or pump issue.

After doing research on motor oil...ahh you could spend a few days reading on this...doing some web searches, it's mind boggling; but definitely worth a look see if you've spent a lot on your motor and want the best protection long term. There's many variables and info on oil additives aside from viscosity. There's info you'd want to know (if you might not) about street vs racing, short vs long distance driving, and storage - like my issue driving my car maybe 500-600 miles a year and it sits over winter. Again, what I found interesting that even my brother, a mechanic years back building engines, debated me on, is how higher visc oils can hold heat, and other issues such as robbing you of HP, and create unwanted slimy build up. Certain additives that racing oils may not have is exactly what you may want to have for street driving, occasional racing, and long term storage. In my case hunting down overheat gremlins, the higher visc oil I was running I also noticed produced some seriously high oil pressure. As I mentioned earlier, seemed that dropping the visc resulted in a cooler running motor and oil pressure that's now more in the expected range. So there's a lot of variables aside from oil weight that reading up on I thought was good to know.

I had a span of time, where I didn't have a hot rod to fool with. Didn't even know, about the zinc mandates, on motor oil. Not until I tripped over FBBO, and started catching up.

Like I've mentioned, I've always used VR-1, after trying a few other brands. But, once reading all the talk, about motor oil, zinc mandates, and the like, I did my own research. Didn't have to go far.
On the Valvoline website, it has a few reports, write-ups, on the matter. And, like everyone else, had to be concerned about zinc. The report I have, states the zinc mandates apply to all motor oils, except...single weight racing oil. Also said, including Valvoline racing oil, mandates also apply to multi-weights racing oil. I have no reason not to believe it.

Sure, I believe in what your saying, about lighter weight oil. Though, I've also seen the differences, at operating temps, too. Gets pretty dang thin, at temp, speaking of 30wt. So, it boils down to, a guy has to pick his poison, and go with it.
I've spent too much time, tearing down motors, see plenty of damage, meaning clearances, and lubrication...two items I fully believe in.

Auto Transport Service
Back