• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right Spark Plug for a 70 RR/383 Auto

soundhd

Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
New Mopar owner. What is the correct/best spark plug to use for a 1970 RR 383 automatic?
Went to the Champion web site and they do not even list on for my car.....kinda weird.....

Would it be the same spark plug if it were a 383/4-spd set-up? I'm just about done putting my new motor together and was wondering about plugs myself...

Dave

I had better luck with the Autolite equivalent in my 70 383 auto Super Bee, but lots of folks swear by those Champions.

NKG plugs
mod# XR5
Gap .035

Ngk is japanese, Autolite (Mexico made) is the cheapest plug on the planet -- the old champion books show RJ12Y and of course, before that, the old J12Y for all the stock 383s and 440s right through all the years... they are all now superceded to the RJ12YC, which is the best "current - day - rendition" you can get.... I have some REAL N.O.S. J12Y and RJ12Y s that will be gobbled up instantly at Chryslers @ Carlisle (in Pa. -- July 8th - July 12th).... If you guys want "first dibs" -- call me .... I also have a few J11Ys for the PERFORMANCE 440s and some J10Y / RJ10Ys for the Race Cars.... not many...
Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935..... New York....

that car would have came from the factory with champion j11y's, 4spd or auto.. mopar number was 34p. the j11y and j13y were designed specifically for the mopar head and i think they were first used in '67 hipo engines. unfortunately the j11y has been extinct for maybe 30yrs. the autolite 85 is a reasonable substitute and is a better quality plug than the j12y.

Ngk is japanese, Autolite (Mexico made) is the cheapest plug on the planet -- the old champion books show RJ12Y and of course, before that, the old J12Y for all the stock 383s and 440s right through all the years... they are all now superceded to the RJ12YC, which is the best "current - day - rendition" you can get.... I have some REAL N.O.S. J12Y and RJ12Y s that will be gobbled up instantly at Chryslers @ Carlisle (in Pa. -- July 8th - July 12th).... If you guys want "first dibs" -- call me .... I also have a few J11Ys for the PERFORMANCE 440s and some J10Y / RJ10Ys for the Race Cars.... not many...
Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935..... New York....
you do know the r just stands for resistor and the c prefix stands for copper core.thats the only diff.

All J11Ys got gobbled up @ Chryslers @ Carlisle -- had 146 of them -- sold 18 - 8 packs (some grabbed 16 or 24) such that I have exactly 2 lonely plugs remaining..........
Sold about 500 -- J12Ys -- such that I have exactly 264 remaining -- exactly 33 -- 8 packs -----
Also have some -- not many -- J10Y, RJ10Y, and for the small blocks -- N10Y, RN10Y, N11Y, N12Y, and RN12Y....
Not holding 'em as trophies --- 4.00 each = 32.00 for a set ---- call me IMMEDIATELY -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935...New York -- or see me (early) at the Mopar Nats ---- U 10 - U 12................

I've always run Autolite 74's but those seem to have disappeared as well. The only thing you get now are 84's, which are one step hotter and resistor. I also like Nippondenso U groove plugs but I had a hard time finding those in local parts stores. The big block number is W16PR-U or stock number 3037.

that car would have came from the factory with champion j11y's, 4spd or auto.. mopar number was 34p. the j11y and j13y were designed specifically for the mopar head and i think they were first used in '67 hipo engines. unfortunately the j11y has been extinct for maybe 30yrs. the autolite 85 is a reasonable substitute and is a better quality plug than the j12y.

I have four boxes of NOS Champion J11Y plugs. PM me if interested.

Auto Transport Service
Back