• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ring & Pinion question

Once again I appreciate all the input....
Here's what I've found so far.... There is a tag on the differential stating 3.23... Like 33 IMP said one tire turns one way and the other opposite...after blocking one tire and turned the other 2 full rotations... The drive shaft turned 3 and 1/8 rotations... I cannot speak of the tach as the dumba$$ that installed it used bondo and silicon to hold it in place (also didn't see a switch for number of cyclinders) as well as the speedo cable has springs and hose clamps to hold that in place(that explains why the speedo works part time) I've included pics of the back of the tach and differential. I don't think the tranny is slipping as when I put the pedal down in it down shifts back to 2nd and takes off with no problems and when in 3rd I feel no slippage either.... to me the rpms
just sounds
to high...
I'll try to find someone with a tach and temporarily use on a drive.
IMG_E2792.JPG
IMG_2793.JPG
IMG_2799.JPG

Looks like a set of dip switches to set for number-of-cylinders. They could definitely be set wrong. They are the four on/off switches top left of your pic. You will have to get info from the tach manufacturer to figure out settings.

Last edited:
Happy Mothers Day to all !!
After I figured out the tach (which was way off) I just took a cruise and at 55mph it read 2400, not 3900 like before. It even sounded quieter to me while driving(don't know why but it did)....I'd like to thank everyone for their input as your knowledge saved me some $$$ that can be better spent elsewhere.
Next step is to upgrade to disc brakes... any suggestions ?
Thanks again !!

Back