• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Trip Gulf Coast to NorCal

Been around the Amish country in Ohio....figured it out when I almost hit a carriage coming over a rise and thought 'what in the h.......'

Amish and Mennonites. They are not too far off of I-40. I used to travel around the state when I worked for the Department of Environmental Quality. We had a spreadsheet of all the places to eat and there locations; sort of like Tripadvisor before there was one.
homemade_meatloaf.jpg

The Oklahoma Aquarium in Jenks, which is on the outskirts of Tulsa, is awesome if you have time. Tickets are $17.50 for adults. There is a restaurant called the Ale Haus overlooking the Arkansas river within a stone's throw of the Aquarium that has good Shepherd's Pie. They are supposed to have good ale, too.

Catfish is big down there

True. We are intentionally avoiding Dallas, FW. Also sick of Tehachapi fly over, Bakersfield, and I 5. Looking for new territory.

I agreed to give up my 70 orange valve covers for these pieces of ****.
What brought about the swap from factory valve covers to fabbed aluminum? Was it the custom bashed in corner by the distributor that was the tipping point to make the sale?
:bananadance::lol:
No-seriously, why the swap?
I had seen the fabricated crinkle black and aluminum valve cover style I have now on a small block Mopar about 4 years ago at CtC. Prayed they were available for a big block...I was absolutely taken by their appearance! Had to have a pair. Now they are a reference for other aesthetics under the hood, and the reason why I went with the Black Diamond finish on the Wraptor serpentine system I got Thursday.
Otherwise I would have gone with the clearcoat ceramic polished aluminum bling finish.

A friend has a 70 ‘Cuda. My 69 had incorrect 70 valve covers correct for his car. I gave them to him for his 700 horse Hughes built stealth motor. They were shiny then. The finish quickly turned to ****, and oil changes have been ugly ever since. Got advice here and will remove both fill accesses and dipstick hoping for a burp.

will remove both fill accesses and dipstick hoping for a burp.
That makes sense. I'm sorry I didn't think of that.
Maybe I can redeem myself. Since you mentioned the PCV valve, I did have a new problem pop up when I switched valve covers from stock to the ones I have now. I bought whatever PCV valve would fit the new valve cover grommet. Big mistake!
There is WAY more to PCV valves than many people think. It's critical to get the right one. In my case, oil was coming out of the breather, and yes, the hole is baffled.
I wound up getting a M/E Wagner PCV valve, and I like it so much I got one for the 421 in the GTO.
http://mewagner.com

El Dorado, Arkansas with a long A. Rain but not pouring. Using the advice from my mentors here (thanks Bill) I lifted the dipstick, removed the passenger side oil cap normally used, and made a 1/3 qt add on the drivers side access. Success! Heading north on scenic 7, then Hot Springs, then aim for Fort Smith and Oklahoma.

made a 1/3 qt add on the drivers side access.
1/3rd quart...
I can attest to the care and attention your car receives.
I should have got you in the passenger seat of my Roadrunner so you can see what a 440 6bbl with open headers sounds and feels like turning 6k RPM.
I am looking forward to a chassis dyno session, and I will make adjustments to my shift light and rev limiter according to what the power curves look like, but it sure seems to like the range it runs in now.
Thanks for the updates Dennis and I hope you have a great time!! My week off is over, and "coming down" from a week of CtC is rough...

1/3rd quart...
I can attest to the care and attention your car receives.
I should have got you in the passenger seat of my Roadrunner so you can see what a 440 6bbl with open headers sounds and feels like turning 6k RPM.
I am looking forward to a chassis dyno session, and I will make adjustments to my shift light and rev limiter according to what the power curves look like, but it sure seems to like the range it runs in now.
Thanks for the updates Dennis and I hope you have a great time!! My week off is over, and "coming down" from a week of CtC is rough...
Thanks for the great hospitality. Second to none.

I would have liked to have done so much more personally, but I had to try my best to accomodate SWMBO, regardless of what the results were. I am thankful for the time we had at the Mopar event, but if it was up to me Dennis, we would have met at the racetrack, possibly rode shotgun or driven each other's cars (I have never let anyone else do that) and dinner at the White House Hotel was a nice ask, but you know how that day was going....

El Dorado, Arkansas with a long A. Rain but not pouring. Using the advice from my mentors here (thanks Bill) I lifted the dipstick, removed the passenger side oil cap normally used, and made a 1/3 qt add on the drivers side access. Success! Heading north on scenic 7, then Hot Springs, then aim for Fort Smith and Oklahoma.
I thought you were just south of Van Buren, AR according to your pic of the Garmin in post #187.

Dennis if you are going all the way to Kingman on I-40, maybe you can stop by and refresh the much faded burn outs you and Darius laid down in front of my house......there will be beer as well. Safe travels.

Also, Dennis, make sure to stop in Tucumcari for the night.....The Blue Swallow Motel is a great old style Rte 66 place, we stayed there last year, very authentic right down to the big old console black and white round screen TV from the 50's.....if you prefer something more modern, we also stay at the Holiday Inn, on the main drag coming westbound just as you get into town on the southside of the road, very reasonable and thick concrete walls (in the old style of Holiday Inns.)
Just as you get into NM, stop at Russell's Travel Center (pit stop, gas, car museum, etc...) in Glenrio NM......http://www.russellsttc.com
Also just before you get into Tucumcari, you can see it on the south side of I-40 ,there is quite an old car collection, the guy is pretty friendly too.

View attachment 849294 View attachment 849295 Simple things are hard now. Was down less than 1/2 qt and planning to hammer it today. So I tried to make a small add. Now the oil won’t go in the filler. WTF. Under normal conditions you need a ******* thimble since I agreed to give up my 70 orange valve covers for these pieces of ****. Baffle is close, so I trimmed a special funnel. Car won’t take an add. In the morning I’ll try the other valve cove. The one with the egg rattler. It’s finicky. I hate to touch it.

Dennis: For future reference. Easy to install and no baffle required, so adding oil is a snap...
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Valve-Cover-Oil-Filler-Cap,48973.html?OriginalQuery=57520457

Auto Transport Service
Back