• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road trips- what’s in your trunk?

I love to drive the car and we should always take along our back up parts and some tools, happy motoring.

I keep a red warning cone and an emergency flare. My road trips begin and end on the Baja California Trans-peninsular Highway, which entails many narrow two lane roads with hairpin turns and little warning if a car breaks down on a curve on an upgrade somewhere. Locals who don't have anything else, line up rocks in the lane behind their broken down vehicles. There is a free government service called the "green angels", which are pickup trucks that patrol the major highways and can push/pull you to safety and offer other assistance by dialing a three digit help line.

My trunk is usually packed with so much stuff that I put my spare in the passenger compartment somewhere so I can get to it in a hurry. Had a flat AFTER one of my 3,000 plus road trips--I came outside to find a flat tire with the car parked in the driveway. Lucky it waited until trip was over.

Last edited:
The usual tools, socket set, pliers, knife, etc., plus electrical tape, flashlight, jumper cables, road flares, qt of oil.

Spare parts
Ballast resister
ECU
Belts
Fuses

EDIT:
Adding a fire extinguisher this year, under the theory of, if you have, you'll never need it.

Had it, needed it. Next time I'll reach for the Halon first. Still finding powder years later.

Fluke Meter, Funnel for adding ATF, Heavy Duty zip ties, Bars Leak Radiator sealer, bolt in rubber freeze plugs. Be sure to review McGyver Seasons #1 and #2 before setting out on the road.

Auto Transport Service
Back