• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner gtx clones/tributes ?????

prhousejr

Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
HOW DO WE AS MOPAR OWNERS FEEL ABOUT CLONE CARS? I HAVE A 1968 PLYMOUTH SATELLITE THAT WOULD MAKE A NICE ROADRUNNER OR GTX, BUT I AM UNDECIDED ON WETHER TO MAKE IT A CLONE/TRIBUTE CAR, OR LEAVE IT BE. I AM PROUD TO BE A B-BODY OWNER PERIOD, I LOVE MY CAR. HOWEVER THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THE NAME "ROADRUNNER" THAT IS JUST SIMPLY TOUGH. I KNOW ALL THE CHEVY AND FORD GUYS DO IT, THERE ARE WAY MORE 69 Z-28s RUNNING AROUND OUR LITTLE TOWN THAN CHEVY EVER MADE.:black_eye: LOOKING FOR OPINIONS HERE, THERE ARE NO WRONG ANSWERS, JUST WANTING HELP MAKING UP MY MIND.........:grin:

Look at the "Hammer" Strope and crew built. It's a '70 Satellite and it's very nice and pretty much exactly what my dream car is. I couldn't care less that it isn't a Road Runner or GTX. I think Road Runners and GTX's are great don't get me wrong but as for me I'm planning on leaving mine a Satellite proudly. It's not a Road Runner never will be no matter what I do because the VIN will always indicate Satellite. So I'm going to build the best damn Satellite I can. I want to increase the performance of my Satellite well beyond what a stock RR or GTX could ever do, and I'm not modifying a car that is probably worth more in stock trim. My final thought is that you can do with your car whatever you want, I think clones/tribute cars are fine as long as you do not misrepresent the car as something it is not.

I have no problems with clones/tributes/whatever you want to call them as long as you don't try and pass it off as the real deal, especially if/when you sell it. Keep the original VIN and fender tag on the car and then build it as a 'runner or GTX the way you want. I would guess that there are more Hemicudas now than there were when they were new.

Whatever you want to do,as long as you don't try to pass it off as a real one.

Let me clear this up, I am not or never would try to sell a car that is not a true bird by saying it is. That is not at all what I meant. This is my car and is not now or never will be for sale. I was just curious as to wether or not other Mopar guys would think less of my car if it were a clone. I just like the roadrunner decals really. That is all. I have known people who have made clones, and changed vins, and fender tags. NOT COOL!! Not Honest. I would never do anything like that. I totally agree with all you guys on that.

Well...a good friend of mine has a 69 Satellite which he restored into mint condition and, did some upgrades that where never even build on a Satellite. The car looks and drives amazing and is fast too.

As for insurance sakes, this is, and will always be, "just" a Satellite, not a Roadrunner. So when insurance came to determine a value for the car, he was pretty much dissapointed because...it's a Satellite.

But...when you see what Mr. Mosher is doing...he's building clones for a living (also genuine A990's ofcourse). As for this type of cars, it's more or less accepted that a clone is also a high dollar car.

People must do what they feel is best to accomplish a dream. I will not always agree or like it if people ask me what they did, but will always respect it because they most likely, just like me, put a lot of passion into it (and money...hahaha).

As for myself...my car is more or less a superstock clone or tribute car... :)

You can put stripes on a jackass and it don't make it a zebra, same goes for cars. What a person does its there car, but what I don't understand is why a person wants to clone to start with. There driving a lie because no matter what folks going down the road was a Road Runner was still a jackass with stripes.

You can put stripes on a jackass and it don't make it a zebra, same goes for cars. What a person does its there car, but what I don't understand is why a person wants to clone to start with. There driving a lie because no matter what folks going down the road was a Road Runner was still a jackass with stripes.

Hey man, don't hold back.......tell us what you really think.....:grin:

For many reasons.
1. People inherit cars with sentimental value from family members.
2. People stumble across a car in good condition for a good price.
3. They work with what they have.
4. The can't afford the entry level cost for a "real" car.
5. Repro parts are available and affordable to build what the want as a
"look-a-like rather than feeling as though they have to find and purchase
original expensive parts.

There is nothing wrong with clones, tributes, or whatever you want to call them. As far as passing one off as an original, anyone that knows or does basic research know that a Mopar has the model and engine coed in the V.I.N.

As far as I am concerned the mid 70s and later cars with the same Roadrunner, Super Bee, R/T, etc. names are FACTORY tribute cars just using the names of what were once great performance cars on the newer cars that are just stripe packages and emblems.

I do not mind clones as long as its done right.For instance a 69 Coronet painted lime green with a 360 in it and Super Bee stripe.Sorry wrong engine and wrong color thats not a clone.I like the clone where you have to look at the vin to tell weather its a clone or not.As much as real GTS,Formula S,Road Runner,GTX,Super Bees and all the other true Mopar Muscle car cost we can hardly give a guy grief for making his plain Coronet into a clone.I hate to see rare cars made into clone such a a 69 Sport Satellite 383 HP 4 speed or a 70 Coronet 500 HP 4 speed I think those cars are more neat than a Road Runner or a Super Bee. Jim

Build it the way you want it. Drop a hemi or 440 in it and use the car. Clone cars can be a lot more fun than a hi dollar all original car that you are afraid to drive. I have had both and the one your driving or racing is the best. Build it and enjoy it. Just dont try to pass it off as original or a one-off engineering proto car.

Build it the way you want it. Drop a hemi or 440 in it and use the car. Clone cars can be a lot more fun than a hi dollar all original car that you are afraid to drive. I have had both and the one your driving or racing is the best. Build it and enjoy it. Just dont try to pass it off as original or a one-off engineering proto car.

I agree totally. I drive mine every day. It is my only car. I love the idea of working on them while you drive them. I am on a shoestring budget, and the only way I can have what I want is to build it.

I think I am doing it backwards!! I am starting with a 1970 GTX that has no motor and transmission, and am going to make it onto a daily driver!! The car was an original 440 car, but I am installing a 426 hemi/auto. I am keeping it the original ivy green, and also plan to keep the original green bucket seat interior!! It will be cool for cruising!!

I think I am doing it backwards!! I am starting with a 1970 GTX that has no motor and transmission, and am going to make it onto a daily driver!! The car was an original 440 car, but I am installing a 426 hemi/auto. I am keeping it the original ivy green, and also plan to keep the original green bucket seat interior!! It will be cool for cruising!!

Sounds cool. I am all about the daily drivers. I really dont like many new cars and trucks on the market today. They are all alike, no personality. I love old daily drivers.

Yours is not a clone or tribute car. It is a real car that is getting a non-factory install/upgrade of an optional engine that WAS available for your car. VERY common thing back when these cars were just a few years old and out of warranty to upgrade things like a 383 SB or RR to a 440. You are basically doing the same thing. Your car will still have the same value as a non numbers engine matching GTX and the extra value of the Hemi engine.

Over half of the way through with a complete rotisserie restoration/cloning of a 1970 Plymouth Belvedere into a GTX. It has been such a pleasure but expensive! I am keeping the bench seats and "on the column torqueflite shift". I have the Ray Barton new 472 Hemi with 11.5 to 1 compression with in line dual quads and TTI headers hooked to a TCI Super Street Fighter Transmission. I replaced the old rear with a new Strange Engineering Dana 60 3.73 ratio. Using Dynamat to sound deadening and keeping the steel wheels with dogdish mopar caps. Also welded in frame stiffeners. The car is air conditioned and has power steering and brakes. Painted it Mopar Dark Burnt Orange with black interior. Hanging GTX emblems and stripes and that should do it. Plan on keeping car as part of a personal collection, so to me, it will now always be a GTX!
Dan

I hate clones and cloners too :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :tongueflap: :tongueflap: :tongueflap: :tongueflap: tongueflap: :tongueflap:

I had a vision of a car that was never made and i built it my way and the way i would want it optioned new

Birdy Led's (1)dc.JPG

P5270364.JPG

P5290387.JPG

P5290385.JPG

P5290426.JPG

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned the mid 70s and later cars with the same Roadrunner, Super Bee, R/T, etc. names are FACTORY tribute cars just using the names of what were once great performance cars on the newer cars that are just stripe packages and emblems.

Well said. :yes:

I don’t really have a problem with clones or tribute cars, as long are you are not coping one to re sale as the original. I own a true aluminum nose Max Wedge that still wears its original paint and 31k miles on it, it’s a documented Mr. Norn’s car, With it’s pre-ordered options the car is a 1 of 1. I do drive it sparingly but living in LA and the way people drive around here its crazy to have it on the street. If someone were to slam into me not only would I be bummed for losing my car but you fine folks in the mopar community would be out more piece of Mopar history that could only be duplicated by a clone. I am in the process of building my early “B” body clone to use as a driver but then again it’s just another plain Jane cruiser with a big motor and a great sound.
I really like the flash of the later model “B” body cars and love the Roadrunner and GTX look, so for my next project I’ll do exactly that build a nice looking roadrunner or GTX that I can tear up the streets with and out worrying that I’m thrashing the real deal… ok time to check out my latest score, this Sport Satellite has been kicking for about 15 years, just worked out a deal with the original owner and will soon be in my storage yard… sweet!

04.28.09.FINDS 001.jpg

04.28.09.FINDS 004.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back