• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rocker arm assembly

justjim

Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
had to remove driver side assembly to change a push rod when putting the 5 bolts and torquing them down do i start with the middle one and work my way out to both ends ?? also should the small oil hole in the lifter be pointed a certain way ?? THX.

I always start from the middle and work out.
Small holes go towards exhaust.
Edit -On the shafts

Last edited:
IMG_2954.JPG

Just to be sure........The small hole in the lifter? The small hole in a flat tappet hydraulic lifter can go in any location as it will rotate in the lifter bore as the engine is running.

Just to be sure........The small hole in the lifter? The small hole in a flat tappet hydraulic lifter can go in any location as it will rotate in the lifter bore as the engine is running.
yes the small hole in the lifter

The shafts only call for something like 25 ft/lbs. It doesn't matter where you start BUT you should snug them down evenly across the 5 bolts - a little at a time. Keep in mind that while you're tightening those down, the valvesprings are being compressed which puts a strain on the shafts. If you tighten down any one of those bolts on their own, the shaft will flex. Not a good thing.

The stock shafts are thin enough to pinch at the bolts - probably the reason for the low torque spec. If using aftermarket shafts, I'd bump the torque up to a more common 30 ft/lbs.

The shafts only call for something like 25 ft/lbs. It doesn't matter where you start BUT you should snug them down evenly across the 5 bolts - a little at a time. Keep in mind that while you're tightening those down, the valvesprings are being compressed which puts a strain on the shafts. If you tighten down any one of those bolts on their own, the shaft will flex. Not a good thing.

The stock shafts are thin enough to pinch at the bolts - probably the reason for the low torque spec. If using aftermarket shafts, I'd bump the torque up to a more common 30 ft/lbs.
THX

Auto Transport Service
Back