• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust prevention home remedy

Mesopic

Local time
12:18 AM
Reaction score
Hi
Not sure if any of you have done or heard of this but here goes.
To prevent further rust and future development of any exiting rust i have filled my chassis (rockers to follow) with fish oil (pressure can sprayed in also blew air in to spread it around) This will stop rust based on new metal having oil on it to stop rust. (can also use other products but fish oil is cheap and works) Have any of you ever done or heard of this being done before? Next i got a few cans of high expanding foam, used regular masking tape taped up all holes in chassis except a few on the top, fill like crazy, i now have a ton of high expanding foam on the floor, but it is now impossible for water to get in. My K frame is getting the same treatment soon. Anyone heard of this before or done this? Total cost was about $10.00 (i was a bit heavy handed with the foam)
Any views/comments would be good.
Thanks

I`m sure cats will love it:eusa_think:

The foam will be a great start to many mice nests if you ever store the car.....

Yep and the car will smell like fish on warm days plus think of the moisture that foam will trap with the dirt and dust that gets in around it.

Deodorized fish oil was was used, However we have used the regular fish oil before and Never been able to smell it past the first week (even on 113f days) , and the chassis had all content removed before starting as this seem like an intelligent thing to start with. The foam is a polyurethane that is meant for houses, and mice do not like, and the point of the foam was to remove/ stop and moisture from entering. We have done this to plenty of cars before and Never had any trouble, we back onto a national park so we get tons of mice.
It works

Probably one of these should go on the left side of the trunk lid now:

mvc-2785320s.jpg

I feel for you, man. These guys are relentless................lol

I'm not quite sure if the foam is a good or bad idea. Back in the 60's, some VW's had it, and it caused rust issues. Now the foam today is very different. The common thought is to use "Great Stuff", a foam made for home insulation. The thinking behind this is that it is a "Closed-Cell" foam, as opposed to and "open-cell" foam. An example of open-cell foam is a sponge. Some postings on the web have said that using Great-Stuff can actually accelerate rust. They say that condensation occurs between the foam and the metal. I dont see how, but this is the claim.
I work at an auto factory, and we use it in certain areas of the car for sound-deadening. I have thought about filling the rockers with it, but waiting till I learn more.

My father used it on a jensen interceptor almost 5 years ago. No rust has since occurred.
If the surface is covered by something like rust conquer or fish oil, the water can't get to the surface to cause the rust, and the foam removes the air inside. Sika is the brand i have used.

I've been wondereing about the foam as well, not just for keeping out moisture and dirt, but in other hidden areas to act as a sound deadener.

I had tried two-part expanding resin years ago in a little Plymouth Arrow, and it did a good job of deadening the road noise but I didn't keep it long enough to see how it held up to water.

-=Photon440=-

My father used it on a jensen interceptor almost 5 years ago. No rust has since occurred.
If the surface is covered by something like rust conquer or fish oil, the water can't get to the surface to cause the rust, and the foam removes the air inside. Sika is the brand i have used.

ooooooh! a jensen interceptor, eh?? got any pics???

Why not just use a cavity wax instead of fish oil? Its about $10 for a litre or so, then just blow it in with a 'engine cleaner' blow gun. I've found fish oil sticky for a long time (trap stray grim) and a not great. But then that was a while back and it was a cheaper brand.

i wanted to use pour rust conquer in. But cost was considered that is why fish oil was used. Well the foam i'm using is meant for houses and it says its seals against sound, no idea how well it would work though. Can't get the picture of the body to upload but here the jensens 440 wedge

Attachments

• Jensen 103_3901.jpg
    Jensen 103_3901.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 529
And here the whole time I thought the smell was coming from the broad in the right seat...Guess I can lay off the the Pine-Sol in the squirt gun..she hates that.

3M Rust fighter out of a schutz gun with the flexible wand would be my recommendation. Gets in rockers, trunk lids, frame rails ect ect...... Waxy petroleum based product

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-8891/

i wanted to use pour rust conquer in. But cost was considered that is why fish oil was used. Well the foam i'm using is meant for houses and it says its seals against sound, no idea how well it would work though. Can't get the picture of the body to upload but here the jensens 440 wedge

sweeeeeeet!!! thanks!

isnt fish oil an ingredient in most rust prevenatives? if their r/d puts it in their product, then its good enough for me.,,, like rustoleum and krylon, etc.? we used a lot of spray foam (great stuff expanding) for car audio purposes , deadening, rattles,,,. i did not ever think it caused rust,,,hope not... seems like a good idea to me, in rockers and other spots,,,

Auto Transport Service
Back