• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust removal by using molasses

pedals.jpgA typically rusty pedal assembly turned out pretty clean. Too many nooks and crannies to reach with a wire brush or emery. Nine months later and the stuff is still working.

They will still have to come apart if you want to paint every nook and cranny. So to me, I wouldda just took um apart and blasted um and painted um separately.......but I must admit, the molasses works purdy good.

I'm gonna start drinking the stuff maybe it will take out the rust stains in my shorts!

Photon440,
how long did you leave it in and what's your mix ratio. Mine started stinking so bad i poured it out.

Photon440,
how long did you leave it in and what's your mix ratio. Mine started stinking so bad i poured it out.

I originally started with about four parts water to one of molasses. I've added a few gallons of water over the months to compensate for evaporation. I have had some mold on it, which I skimmed off. In warm weather it skins over like a pudding. But, it hasn't had any bad smells. Since it's out in the barn, it wouldn't have been too much of a problem anyway.

As for how long I soaked the parts, usually about a week. I have had some in for over a month (I forgot about them) but most of the rust is gone in the first week.

I have been using the molassis bath since the beginning of 2013. It does take 2-3 weeks for the stuff to work but it does an awesome job of removing the rust. I does work very slowly and you do have to use a wire brush to clean all the rust off.

It's cold here still (MI) so as I clean parts in my basement I spray them with WD-40 for now until I can paint them outside when it warms up.

One thing I am not quite sure of is if the parts need a base to neutralize them.

If you check on your parts after a week or so they don't turn black. I've used the 9:1 ratio and it works well. If you cover the brew, it is not so bad; if you don't it stinks real bad!

I used white vinegar on my axle shafts. Worked really slick.

White vinegar works good. I found a recipe on the web, I think it was 1 gallon of white vinegar, 1 bottle of "RealLemon" and i think 1/2 cup of salt.

Just as an update, my molasses tank was not in use for a couple of days, so I decided to see what would happen with a rusty wheel. After three days, so far so good.

wheel rust 1.jpg

Of course the tank wasn't enough for the whole wheel so I have to do it in sections. Here's the first three days' result. I just hosed it off.

wheel rust 2.jpg

While I'm sure it will look better with some fine steel wool and wax, I was encouraged by the results. It's back in the tank for the next section now.

-=Photon440=-

Never tried it.... but I will keep it in mind. Does it have to soak or can I brush it on real heavy on a floor pan and just keep applying more?
After the rims are done do you clear them... once the chrome is gone and pitted what keeps it from growing more?

I have no idea if merely brushing it on will work, I have mine in a large container. It shouldn't be hard to find a container especially if you have a lot of parts that you'll end up doing. If you're real careful and don't poke a hole I imagine you could put your parts into a thick plastic garbage bag - but I'd be afraid of leaks.

As for after, I'll probably go over them with a fine steel wool or SOS pad and see what's really there. A lot of the brown stains on the chrome are leaching out from very tiny pits but the chrome is still there. Where it is actually missing, I'll let you know after the whole wheel is done. Clear coat may be the way to go but in reality I doubt that these will ever look new again. These 14 inch wheels are really quite useless to me, this is only an experiment.

Meanwhile, I just disassembled my heater and ducts, so all the slightly rusty flappers and brackets are getting a soaking right now. Once that's all cleaned up and lubed (along with the control cables) the operation of the vent sliders should be a lot freer.

Thanks for the pics, Photon - neat results.

I;m cooking a set of brake calipers right now.

Hey Photon,
what the Heck kind of wheel is that? I have a pair of them and don't remember the make. Theyre like a cheep cragar knockoff or something...

furyus is right, they're Appliance.

I liked them better than Cragars back in the day because the spokes were stamped steel, not cast. They looked similar on the car though.

Took this picture 7/25/14. Think it was in the sauce about 7 days. Nice way to strip parts. Thanks Photon

caliper.jpg

Very novel and Eco friendly. I have lots of time but little patience. I think I'd use both depending on the part I'm working with. Great post!

Auto Transport Service
Back