• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Safety Clean/shop wash vat solutions....going to diesel.....?

Any of you former military guys remember PD-680 for cleaning purposes?

I use the Tractor Supply stuff. 10 gallon each time. Works well and last for a long time.

That's the stuff they had us use when they were phasing out MEK. Not near as good though.

All I remember was some soapy crap that didn't work well. Deisel was our go to, but you didn't want to get caught with it. As soon as we were done with it, it went into the used oil vat.

I use brake cleaner for most things. It is the non chlorinated type from Rural King.
If it's bigger, and grubbier, I use the Tractor Supply stuff in my parts cleaner. Purple stuff is good, but I tried it in my parts washer, and it foamed up.

I rather use something that has a bit higher flash point lol

Read above....

That's what gloves are for!

I use brake cleaner too but it's a bit expensive for using in a cleaning vat and it evaps fast even with the lid down.

I'm very familiar with MEK. Lots of guys would go over to the unit 'sample spigot' at the refinery and fill a bucket to clean their tools with. Most of them are no longer with us. Did you know that the smell in Weldwood contact cement is MEK? Once the MEK flashes off it leaves the glue to do it's job. Not sure if they still use MEK but they did 15 years ago. It was probably the mid 80's before the refinery started making everyone use gloves on stuff like that and then made it to where we couldn't obtain it so easily in the unit. A lot of people still don't realize that stuff like that penetrates the skin pretty easily.
Well... First time I used it I was thinking it's just a simple cleaner until I got it all over my hands, now I try not to touch it.

I'm guessing that's a variation of Trichloroethylene? If so I saw plenty of it while hanging out with aircraft maintenance guys at Nellis.. Those guys often helped getting broken dirt bikes back together...

FWIW These days on smaller stuff I use my ultrasonic cleaner & for bigger stuff I go see my buddy who has a industrial dish washer... I usually buy him beer or lunch & he lets me throw my stuff in his washer..

We used Ashland 140 in our vats. I learned it was a highly refined diesel fuel but had no bad smell, and could handle a LOT of grease/oil before changing. Not sure what it costs per gallon these days....

My parts washer is so gunked up after years of a mineral spirits / diesel combo that I rarely us it anymore. (I should really probably drain it and clean it out but I'm too lazy).
Lately I have been using whatever container I can find and hitting it with lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner will cut anything and is the king of solvents. Too bad it will eat a parts washer pump in a matter of minutes and has a flash point that will make it evaporate even faster. :(

I recently had Safety Kleen change out my tank solvent (Safety Kleen solvent for 30 years now) and it has changed formula from what I could tell. It does seem to evaporate slower. My tank is ancient and holds 35 gallons, and I had 14 years of use on the last refill, so I paid the $$$$ and figure it will outlast me. I have slowed down on automatic rebuilds and don't put any more dirt/grease in the tank than necessary. The large tank let me wash the V-6 engine block during the rebuild of the 2008 3.8 Chrysler T&C I purchased for my new winter beater. I sometimes actually wear gloves now days! Been washing car parts for over 55 years now.
Mike

It's strong stuff. Just gotta be extra careful with it. I bet the MSDS sheet recommends respirator w it. But it does work.

MEK, methyl ethyl ketone, works great. But evaporates fast n is a carcinogenic. Even in the early 80's, the military made us glove up using that stuff. One of the only things I've seen that will actually dissolve gas turned to varnish in old motorcycle gas tanks.
They're using MPK now, or alcohol if it'll handle the job. I think it's been that way since the mid 2000's.

Because of the recertification price plus shipping we throw all of our electrical safety gloves in the trash at work and just buy new ones, those are the best gloves for parts cleaning!! I take every pair thrown out home, they're thick and easy to put on and take off. If you know someone that can hook you up they're hard to beat.

I recently had Safety Kleen change out my tank solvent (Safety Kleen solvent for 30 years now) and it has changed formula from what I could tell. It does seem to evaporate slower. My tank is ancient and holds 35 gallons, and I had 14 years of use on the last refill, so I paid the $$$$ and figure it will outlast me. I have slowed down on automatic rebuilds and don't put any more dirt/grease in the tank than necessary. The large tank let me wash the V-6 engine block during the rebuild of the 2008 3.8 Chrysler T&C I purchased for my new winter beater. I sometimes actually wear gloves now days! Been washing car parts for over 55 years now.
Mike
It doesn't irritate your hands at all when not using gloves? They don't feel like they heat up some or turn a light shade of red?

It doesn't irritate your hands at all when not using gloves? They don't feel like they heat up some or turn a light shade of red?
I think they may have gotten irritated but, mainly dried out which I usually ignored as I have very oily skin. On rare occasion I may use some hand lotion.
Mike

I use Graymills Super Agitene both at home and at work. It's expensive but it lasts for a long time. It also will dry and not leave any residue. I can clean something in it, then blow it dry, then spray paint it with no issues.

Back when I shot automotive paint for a living I would clean my hands in pure Toluene. Fucked me up in ways that I had no idea of when I was in my 20s. My hands looked like a baseball glove that hadn't been oiled in 20 years. That ****, any solvent, will absorb straight into your blood stream. Not good :screwy:
I use nitrile gloves before I pick my nose anymore unless I need total feel on something (my boogers tend to be large). When the Kung Flu hit and the prices for gloves went through the roof I panicked. Checked my stock and found I had 4,000 on hand.
I could have sold them and retired. :lol:

Last edited:
Back when I shot automotive paint for a living I would clean my hands in pure Toluene. Fucked me up in ways that I had no idea of when I was in my 20s. My hands looked like a baseball glove that hadn't been oiled in 20 years. That ****, any solvent, will absorb straight into your blood stream. Not good :screwy:
I use nitrile gloves before I pick my nose anymore unless I need total feel on something (my boogers tend to be large). When the Kung Flu hit and the prices for gloves went through the roof I panicked. Checked my stock and found I had 4,000 on hand.
I could have sold them and retired. :lol:
Yeah, I saw the 'value' in using gloves fairly early on but too many said "I'm no pussy and ain't using no gloves" and well, lots of them paid dearly for thinking that way. I also used ear plugs early on but it wasn't early enough. :(

Large boogers and 4000 gloves :rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back