• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Said to me at the car show...

Yup.. We were bringing groups up to the hills through out the worst times when the news was saying cops would pull you over just for taking non-essential trips... We would be out in groups of 4-10 cars... Sorry this is still America at least for a little longer.. Can't believe how many sheeple just accept having their freedom taken away... I didn't take an oath to defend this country to see a bunch of pussy's give up all that our forefathers fought for without anything resembling a fight...
composite_15273707492104.jpg
20200530_151222.jpg
Not all is lost. There are powers in control
that far surpass the desires of common
Man.
Thank you for taking the oath that places
your life in defense of a country that made
B Bodies possible.
My son also took the oath. He's damaged
now, but with each little step in our build,
he comes closer to a justification as to
what he witnessed. I can only imagine
what he went thru being 9 years an army
Ranger in Iraq. Showing off his efforts
in an 80 year old truck are well deserved.
It's taken 27 years to get this truck to this
point. I won't be denied driving it.
God bless.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I get constantly asked or should I say proclaimed about my 69 Coronet 440 is when they see it they are always "man that's got a real 440 in it ? " because of the way the designers decided to make the emblem look like an engine call out instead of prior years and when I explain no that is the model of the car but it does have a 383 which is rare as they only made 3136 - 2 door hardtops with this engine they seem let down that its not a 440.
View attachment 1311500
My brother gets the same thing with his '66 Coronet 440 convert. He said he stopped correcting people and just says "yep, 440"

I point out that a Coronet 500 doesn't have a 500" engine (got asked that at least twice over the years!!)

One thing that pisses me off at cruise nights is several times now someone pops my flip up gas cap on my Charger. I come back from walking around and it's sticking straight up. Just dislike people touching my car if I am not around. Luckily, I have the locking gas cap option so I don't have to worry about anyone dropping something down in my tank.

3 weeks ago I took my 70 GTX to a car show, a guy was looking at it and said,
“I had a 69 road runner like this except it was red with the half vinyl top option”

???, I said, landau top? must have been nice

Sometimes people just get excited and impulsive and accidently say something. I know that when I have been around people, I have misspoke about something and they just let it go. I don't see those instances as a problem.
What does annoy me are the armchair purists and fender tag "experts" that want to pick apart a car for it's lack of originality. What makes these guys even worse is when they don't even have a classic car of their own.
Hey...If I wanted some pompous blowhard to authenticate my car, I'd call that Galen guy.

3 weeks ago I took my 70 GTX to a car show, a guy was looking at it and said,
“I had a 69 road runner like this except it was red with the half vinyl top option”

???, I said, landau top? must have been nice
Ya mean something like this? Always was a great look...yeah...more padding the better. Bet this looked great on a RR.
1657731003214.png

Not my car, but I overheard it at a cruise in. Younger guy with a Chevy Nova was standing beside a 69 Road Runner with the 383 callouts on the hood. "Wow, this guy must have put a small block stroker in his car..."

One thing that pisses me off at cruise nights is several times now someone pops my flip up gas cap on my Charger. I come back from walking around and it's sticking straight up. Just dislike people touching my car if I am not around. Luckily, I have the locking gas cap option so I don't have to worry about anyone dropping something down in my tank.
Better than when I came back from a short walk at a very nice car show and 2 guys and a woman were bouncing one corner of my car, apparently trying to bounce the tire off the ground...... I was stunned....
I ripped into them and they came forward, acting like they were going to work me over... Opened my Trunk and had my hand on Mr King Cobra 357.... I thought for a few moments I was going to have to use it.......

What a world its become......

I was sitting in the staging lanes one night and there was an old(er) gentleman next to me in his new Porsche 911. He was probably in is mid to late 70's. As soon as he saw my car he immediately came over and started talking to me about growing up in Detroit in the 60's. He knew some of the guys from the Ramchargers team and hung out with them quite a bit. He had lots of stories about those days to share. He took lots of photos and told me he didn't care what his wife said, one was going to be hanging in the front room of their house. I have seen him a couple of times since that night. We always chat a bit and he takes more photos and tells more stories.

Dragstrip Riot 2.JPG

I don't mind when someone misspeaks about my car model or engine. They usually speak in the first place because they are admiring what you have. As far as mis-identification, I usually can't tell the difference between early 50's GM cars unless they are side by side. Not my forte.

Listen, if you don't have a small block A body for a daily driver, and I mean daily, you are missing 75.5 percent of the fun.
(Of course I realize many don't live in an agreeable climate for that. But if....;-)

Listen, if you don't have a small block A body for a daily driver, and I mean daily, you are missing 75.5 percent of the fun.
(Of course I realize many don't live in an agreeable climate for that. But if....;-)

Just noticed your nic - do you fly for British Airways?

I was sitting in the staging lanes one night and there was an old(er) gentleman next to me in his new Porsche 911. He was probably in is mid to late 70's. As soon as he saw my car he immediately came over and started talking to me about growing up in Detroit in the 60's. He knew some of the guys from the Ramchargers team and hung out with them quite a bit. He had lots of stories about those days to share. He took lots of photos and told me he didn't care what his wife said, one was going to be hanging in the front room of their house. I have seen him a couple of times since that night. We always chat a bit and he takes more photos and tells more stories.

View attachment 1312307
I just gotta say that car always reminds me of my favorite Golden Earring song.
Candy's Going Bad.
Right up there with Vanilla Queen.
Which, the car being base white sort of fits too?
I'd post the Moontan album cover, but.....you know. :lol:

My favorite was taking my '55 Coronet Lancer to a local show on Mopar night. Pulling in to park, a guy comes over and says "you can't park here, it's for Mopars only". His friend says "you idiot, that is a Mopar"

By far the best one I've ever heard to date. I had my old Creepwagon at a local show a few years ago. A crazy old lady asks me "Is that your car?". I said "Yes it is.". She walks around it, looks it over and then says "I got busy in the back seat of one those.".

The one that really gets me though is the "Are you going to restore it?". I then tell them the list. Rebuilt front and rear suspensions, new front and rear swaybars, new brakes with updated dual master cylinder, pulled the gas tank and resealed it with new fuel lines and cleaned the sending unit, welded in all the floors front and rear and the cargo area, electronic ignition conversion, new tires and new dual exhaust, and it purrs like a kitten. I then say anyone can paint a POS, I'd rather my car ride great than look great. And yes, I'm keeping the body like that.

Wagon with rims.jpg

My favorite was taking my '55 Coronet Lancer to a local show on Mopar night. Pulling in to park, a guy comes over and says "you can't park here, it's for Mopars only". His friend says "you idiot, that is a Mopar"
That is hilarious. On a flip side, one time I was meeting a friend at a car show some 30 miles from my place at a Steak & Shake chain. Cool place with a 50's diner theme. Weather looked too iffy to me, so we drove there in the wife's '09 - Sonata just to see the show and have dinner. Well, one of the ushers was trying to guide me in - to the show area. Lol, we ended up having to park quite a distance away and told my wife we would of had a nice parking spot if we entered it in the show.

By far the best one I've ever heard to date. I had my old Creepwagon at a local show a few years ago. A crazy old lady asks me "Is that your car?". I said "Yes it is.". She walks around it, looks it over and then says "I got busy in the back seat of one those.".

The one that really gets me though is the "Are you going to restore it?". I then tell them the list. Rebuilt front and rear suspensions, new front and rear swaybars, new brakes with updated dual master cylinder, pulled the gas tank and resealed it with new fuel lines and cleaned the sending unit, welded in all the floors front and rear and the cargo area, electronic ignition conversion, new tires and new dual exhaust, and it purrs like a kitten. I then say anyone can paint a POS, I'd rather my car ride great than look great. And yes, I'm keeping the body like that.

View attachment 1312823
Love it!! :thumbsup:

They usually speak in the first place because they are admiring what you have.
That's the crux of it for me right there.
I make it a point to engage every person who approaches me about the car, regardless of their "story".
If they ask, rather than assume, about my GTX, I'm happy to correct them or answer
the same old routine questions (what year is that? Is that a Dodge?) - because that's part and parcel of accepting
stewardship of one of these cars (and how to help keep the hobby alive, for that matter).

Auto Transport Service
Back