• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sand Blaster

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:02 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a nice older I-R compressor at an Estate sale near my house earlier this year. The House sold last week, and this morning this was sitting out front, free for the taking, as garbage day was yesterday, and it wasn't picked upon so home it came. Does anyone have any knowledge, or info on something like this ? I thought it might work well for small parts, or pre-cleaning frame welds ? Any, and All feedback appreciated, Thanks !
0805201159.jpg

They work fine. My former father-in-law did his entire 1939 Plymouth frame with one like yours. He had a tarp under it to catch the sand (play sand!) and recycled a lot of it. The only enemy was moisture collecting where the sand comes from the bin and into the hose. Some clogging at the nozzle also from moisture. That's what you have to deal with using a compressor without a expensive dryer hooked to it. It should come in handy!

Playsand won't work well on heavily rusted stuff. Tractor supply has black diamond or you can get ground glass. You need to run the compressor at high pressure below 80 psi they just don't generate enough velocity.

Playsand won't work well on heavily rusted stuff. Tractor supply has black diamond or you can get ground glass. You need to run the compressor at high pressure below 80 psi they just don't generate enough velocity.

No, play sand is not advisable but that was what my FIL used. :) I like the Black Diamond from TSC. I use it in my bench top unit.

My open hopper actually works MUCH better than the pressure tank I had for a while.

...and play sand works just fine.

You gotta sift it though and that's somewhat labor intensive.

Get a hood, particulate filter mask and suit.

...and I hope that new compressor is at least 10 CFM @90.

Even at that you can easily exhaust the compressor before the sand level in that hopper drops 2 inches.

Used one similar to that when restoing my 1st car using black diamond. Slow process but did the job using it for other things, wheels, furniture, etc. over the years. Hoses will eventually need replacing and nozzles wear out. I've used ceramic tips, but heard there's others that last longer. As an old buddy told me once "Free is a good price".

Auto Transport Service
Back