• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandblasting question -

munger77

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
I don't have a sandblasting booth; and occasionally blast and repaint a part before installing it. I've thought about drop cloths in a garbage can or large box, but looking for creative ideas.
I also want to blast the underside of the k member and give it a fresh coat of paint. Any ideas for the best way to do this w/o taking it out will be appreciated. I use a very simple "speed blaster" handheld blast gun at I believe 90 psi and I get my media in either fine sand or glass at tractor supply. Media can be expensive if you waste it.

Look into purchasing a bead blast cabinet. Great for the automotive items and good to have for general projects around the house. I would suggest getting the largest one that you can afford with your available space and air compressor. They do take a lots CFM, but no different than running a spot blaster. I have friends who have purchased the smaller Harbor Freight units and they work ok for small items.

For the K-frame cleaning, I would think that it would be difficult to blast the area without having the media lodging itself into the crevices. This could lead to eventually rust issues and some of the media is prone at promoting issues with the welds. I doubt that you would have enough pressure with a small hand held unit to seriously affect the welds, but for some of the larger more powerful units, it can be a concern.

A small 90 degree angle grinder with a wire brush can reach into some of those areas and help to dislodge grime and rust. Good luck with the project.

Thanks 69 bfan, unfortunately I don't have any room for a bead blast cabinet, but If I did that would be my first step. I also would only use it 2-3 times a year at most. I have the angle grinder and will see if I have wire brush attachments for it. Thanks very much for the input.

Thanks 69 bfan, unfortunately I don't have any room for a bead blast cabinet, but If I did that would be my first step. I also would only use it 2-3 times a year at most. I have the angle grinder and will see if I have wire brush attachments for it. Thanks very much for the input.
Wire wheels can be very dangerous....

Harbor freight has an el cheapo cabinet that does the job for limited use for an budget.....

I have staked up vinyl tarps before, to catch and re-use media. I run it through a sifter before re-use. I usually tie the tarp up about 3' against the fence, and then use other portable items to stake the other 3 sides to.

How I did my pumpkin as too heavy to put in the cabinet and need the pail to seal the glass out of the gear side. Shipping tub liner bag, but you could use a tarp with some folding.
beerestoration2015-2016 442.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 444.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 447.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 468.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 463.JPG

Hope you wear a good dust mask while blasting.....

Or I can just put on my fresh air hood, but I hate dragging the hose around..
DCP05796.JPG

TIP tools makes a kit to finish a owner built cabinet. You build the cabinet with plywood.
Mike

Why don't you just scrub-down the bottom of the K-frame with Purple Power degreaser and scotch-brite
and then wipe it down with prep-sol. Spot prime the bare metal areas with etch primer and paint it. You
don't need to blast anything if it's not heavily rusted.

I will take all of this into consideration. Thanks for the photos Dadsbee - that pumpkin turned out really nice! THAT's what I like!!

I don't have a sandblasting booth; and occasionally blast and repaint a part before installing it. I've thought about drop cloths in a garbage can or large box, but looking for creative ideas.
I also want to blast the underside of the k member and give it a fresh coat of paint. Any ideas for the best way to do this w/o taking it out will be appreciated. I use a very simple "speed blaster" handheld blast gun at I believe 90 psi and I get my media in either fine sand or glass at tractor supply. Media can be expensive if you waste it.
Build a box out of wood and seal it with caulking.
Drill a few holes in it to install wires for some lights. LED works well. And a 3 inch hole to attach a vacuum to it to clear the dust so you can see better.
The window is the hardest part to make look nice and seal.
It can be a fun project. Worst car senerio ....
Burn it in the fire place or pit. Break out the marshmallows graham crackers and chocolate!
Drink lots of beer and laugh it off!

Chemically strip it, even if you let the stripper dry out on the k frame the paint will blast right off the metal. Many times grit blasting doesn't remove paint well, depending on the mesh grit used. plastic media works best for paint removal and doesn't impact the metal giving it the grainy texture. Dip stripping k frame gives awesome results, but not in everyone budget.

You can also get a wire brush for your saws all lot safer then one on angle grinder

Wire wheels can be very dangerous....

Harbor freight has an el cheapo cabinet that does the job for limited use for an budget.....

the Harbor Cabinet is close to junk in my book
its better then nothing but its
syphon blast that takes forever to do a good job and clogs too easy
I would almost give the one I have away for peanuts ,its just taking up precious room and I never use it anymore.
I set up a tarp and use my pressure pot
one thing I do is what was mentioned above is
hit it with stripper first then let it dry, makes it a easy blast for most stuff

the Harbor Cabinet is close to junk in my book
its better then nothing but its
syphon blast that takes forever to do a good job and clogs too easy
I would almost give the one I have away for peanuts ,its just taking up precious room and I never use it anymore.
I set up a tarp and use my pressure pot
one thing I do is what was mentioned above is
hit it with stripper first then let it dry, makes it a easy blast for most stuff
I disagree....sure it is not a TIP cabinet but it will do the job. I had a TIP unit....the one HF I used did the job...it’s a cheap unit for very limited use....

Auto Transport Service
Back