• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

scrap metal collection

shag766

Local time
5:49 PM
Reaction score
just curious what everybody dose with their scrap metal. the way the scrap prices have been for awhile you have to save it. i use a junker car and fill it up then take it to the scrap yard. a couple of them a year. luckily i have a 12000lb winch on my trailer. the only restriction at the yard is no used filters and i keep batteries seperate. at the present time i am filling a jeep wagoneer. if somebody else has a trick that works i would like to hear it. here is a photo of the jeep. notice the old field fence and other stuff tied to the roof. think grizzwalds. lol the tractor rim, fire pit, and the sheet of steel aren't going.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
I have heard from somewhere in my area, that some place's will not accept a vehicle that is full of misc. metal on the inside, only because there have been people caught tossing in rock's, concrete, and that sort of thing. I can say, that in my area, they will definately dock you for sure, and they have sign's on the property that say they will also (prosecute you) for your action's. As for oil,gas,tran's type filter's, I just sit them in my enclosed wood burning stove, when I light it up in the morning, then the next morning I just remove with my big magnet, when I clean the stove out the next morning.

I have heard from somewhere in my area, that some place's will not accept a vehicle that is full of misc. metal on the inside, only because there have been people caught tossing in rock's, concrete, and that sort of thing. I can say, that in my area, they will definately dock you for sure, and they have sign's on the property that say they will also (prosecute you) for your action's. As for oil,gas,tran's type filter's, I just sit them in my enclosed wood burning stove, when I light it up in the morning, then the next morning I just remove with my big magnet, when I clean the stove out the next morning.

- i like that burning the filter idea. luggin them somewhere is a pain in the butt. i have an old stainless sink somewhere around here that would be the cats *** for that. that chimney of your stove must put out some nasty smoke when you do that trick. lol
- as for the scrap yard not taking them, this is a pretty small community around here and i went and seen him before i started doing this. he told me the do's and dont's and i won't screw it up. it's only about a mile from me. a couple of cars ago i took a ford fusion over and it was loaded. darn near pulled it apart with the winch putting it on. i got plus-minus 600.00 bucks for it.

- i like that burning the filter idea. luggin them somewhere is a pain in the butt. i have an old stainless sink somewhere around here that would be the cats *** for that. that chimney of your stove must put out some nasty smoke when you do that trick. lol
- as for the scrap yard not taking them, this is a pretty small community around here and i went and seen him before i started doing this. he told me the do's and dont's and i won't screw it up. it's only about a mile from me. a couple of cars ago i took a ford fusion over and it was loaded. darn near pulled it apart with the winch putting it on. i got plus-minus 600.00 bucks for it.

I only put one or two filter's in at a time........... and it's not everyday either, my buddy bring's me some every once in awhile. I usually start a fire early in the morning, like 6-7 AM and there is nobody standing outside. This filter burning would not emit more smoke than a diesel truck, shifting gear's, running through the city. Just my opinion.

I ran a scrap yard in the early 90's
You get more money by separating the different type of metal.
(Cast iron, steel, tin, aluminum (cast and extruded) brass, copper, stainless steel, radiators, catalytic converters, batteries)

Also prices around and get names when you do.
The more you bring in the higher the price especially when it comes to non-ferrous metals.

Auto Transport Service
Back