• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Searching Tap for Small Thread Screw In Ball Joints

No prices either so I imagine they are stupid expensive. Did you carry taps that size on the truck?
Yes for particular applications. Otherwise just up to 3/4"

The ball joints are kind of a tapered/friction/self taping unit. You get them started, maybe one turn by hand?, and then use the proper ball joint socket to tighten them down.

The ball joints are kind of a tapered/friction/self taping unit. You get them started, maybe one turn by hand?, and then use the proper ball joint socket to tighten them down.
Thanks so much , this I want to hear , exactly I get it one turn in and after they stuck and you must use minimum a hand wrench and of course the correct special socket . Thanks !!!

So, now I found a buddy in USA , he order for me and after send to me ! thanks to all they try to help !! hope with special FedEx priority i get it very quick to Germany.

What "Thrashingcows said",
and you have to make sure it goes in straight, and Try not to ever back up; the BJ sortof cuts it's own threads as it goes. It should take ever-increasing torque to get her all the way in.
If it gets loose towards the bottom, this is bad.

In the past when that happened to me, I would just drive it in and place three generous welds around the perimeter to keep it in there.
But when you do this, you have to keep the heat down because some BJs have heat-sensitive materials inside them.

What "Thrashingcows said",
and you have to make sure it goes in straight, and Try not to ever back up; the BJ sortof cuts it's own threads as it goes. It should take ever-increasing torque to get her all the way in.
If it gets loose towards the bottom, this is bad.

In the past when that happened to me, I would just drive it in and place three generous welds around the perimeter to keep it in there.
But when you do this, you have to keep the heat down because some BJs have heat-sensitive materials inside them.
I've done the same especially with Shineeeese joints!

9F18A5DB-F68A-4645-8D90-28507F0639E6.jpeg

Cool.....what some have said - the ball joint goes in by finger - then as it tightens up you use the special socket. Actually been that way since 1957 when Mopar started using them. Some early GM's used the screw in BJ as well. Glad you got some help with the shipping over to there !

Cool.....what some have said - the ball joint goes in by finger - then as it tightens up you use the special socket. Actually been that way since 1957 when Mopar started using them. Some early GM's used the screw in BJ as well. Glad you got some help with the shipping over to there !
One last question about this theme .
Ok, now we Know the ball joint goes in just about 1 turn by hand to snuck him straight on ( use anti size before start thread em in) and not cross thread them . After you have to use the right socket and a big wrench or a normal wrench and muscles
About the torque spec I think 80 ft pound will be enough, but most Company s write in their instruction s about 100 to 125 ft pound ..,, What you guys recommend it ?

And what is the best way to remove them , specially if you have a tubular control arm and not want Stress them with a big breaker bar or something like that ....
just soak and penetrate the ball joint With good oil oil oil , and after a day waiting penetrate oil again and use a impact tool ?

I use an impact until they are in all the way and tight. In a stock A arm, they are pretty darn snug so I don't worry about how much torque that's applied to them. Never built up anything with aftermarket control arms but I know the ball joints can take a whole lot more torque than 125 ft lbs to get them out! That's one of the reasons I use impacts lol. One of mine puts up at least 100 ft lbs and kinda doubt you're going to stress any control arm even applying 125. The last front end I did the new China made crap almost fell into the control arms and had to weld them. Even the old ball joints were still tight in the threads when I stuck one back in to make sure I didn't mess up the threads in the control arm. At least the socket fit these new China made ones. The first time using China made BJ's the socket didn't fit so told the customer that brought them to me to get then exchanged. I refuse to do anymore front ends using any parts from China!

Auto Transport Service
Back