• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat storage

Polara 500 707

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Thoughts on storing original bucket seats and rear bench seat in the attic for the next year or two . The foam is in ok condition but does leave “crumbs” when you sit on them. Seats will eventually get redone but would like to get a year or so out of them when I reassemble the car...probably a year or two away.

I live in California, attic is clean and so far no sign of critters. I guess I’m curious if the hot summer temps up there will effect the seats much. Obviously no UV exposure so that’s huge.

Project is moving slow due to house remodel (weekender) and I can’t put any parts on it since I still have half of the underbody coating to remove Love the site!!

Mine have been in my attic for 5 years now. No apparent deterioration. I cleaned them well and bagged them up because I plan to use them as they are - hopefully !! Your project can't move much slower than mine ... '85 was the last time I drove the car !!

going to sound funny but i put lotion on them then bagged and put away so far so good

yes its soaks in and keeps it softer. i hope it works

Not sure where in Calif. you are...

I live in the Sierra's Motherload, north eastern/central Calif.,
north of Yosemite...
I wouldn't store anything in my attics,
especially anything that I wanted to preserve...
We have moderate springs & colder winters, than much of Calif. does,
but the summer 100+* ambient outside temps, even 90*+ days
(comp roof, with insulation, blown in, well insulated attic floor too)
inside are like 115*-135*+ in the attic & dry,
off & on for 4-5 or more months, then down in the valley, it's even worse,
cook the **** out of it & make it brittle...
IMO Even if it's bagged up & treated...

Maybe if you were on the coast, where it's a lot cooler,
"just maybe" I'm being over cautious...

Maybe if you have 'an attic fan the evacuates the heat regularly',
then just maybe, otherwise, I wouldn't do it...
(I probably wouldn't do it period, find somewhere else to store it, here in Calif.)

Maybe that's just me....

Last edited:
I'm in Phoenix and heat is all the time. Unless you can use a spare room in the house anywhere else is a joke. I have lotioned mine and I'm thinking I should maybe try something like wd40 and they're in the house.

How hot do ya think it gets in the car on a hot summer day?

I have seen temps 100plus. Have also seen side windows blow out from it.

All good info. Attic easily gets to 125 plus in the summer. Cooler at night. At least no UV. It’s not my ideal spot but storage is limited. If it’s not the attic, it’s possibly the tuff shed. Only 110 in there in the summer! Wherever they end up, I’ll definitely put some kind of conditioner on them.

If the seats leave crumbs when you sit on them the foam needs to be replaced.
I have a set that do the same thing.
Foam is shot.

Auto Transport Service
Back