• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Serpentine belts on a BB Mopar

we have plenty of kits out there running reverse rotation. I have an engineering degree in mechanical engineering and when I designed the system we tested the flow with both directions and there is no real difference in performance. there are some pumps that don't work, these are the ones with the cast vane impeller that looks like a swirl. when we tested it, didn't notice any difference in flow from that in the clockwise rotation direction vs a stock style pump. if you look at a factory pump, the vanes are straight, and to run it in reverse it needs to have an anti-cavitation plate. once this is installed it works just fine.

for a few of our customers who requested more cooling we designed a smaller water pump pulley to speed the flow of water. I don't run it on my car but these guys swear by the size so we accommodated them and can supply them for you too.

also now if you know anything about centrifugal acceleration which is what drives the water flow from the water pump, basically it sucks from the center and pushes to the outside. since we are not changing the water pump housing, there is no way to direct the flow from the water pump to the heads. the housing still directs the flow into the block first, then goes into the heads. if you wanted reverse cooling what the race guys do is run the flow from the high side heater hose and run that to the back of the block and T it off and plumb it into the back of the heads.

sorry this was a long post, but we have spent countless hours on the phone with customers trying to dispel the myth that the reverse rotation water pump doesn't work. i'd be more than happy to debate this with anyone but the proof is the customers cars. the systems work.

I disagree with the post stating the water won’t flow to the heads first, totally incorrect.
sorry this was a long post, but we have spent countless hours on the phone with customers trying to dispel the myth that the reverse rotation water pump doesn't work. i'd be more than happy to debate this with anyone but the proof is the customers cars.
I consider both of you guys "car friends" in that 5.7 hemi is good about following up my questions with answers and Jerry at SD Concepts has been good about talking tech with me.
As soon as I saw the first quoted post, I knew (I assume Jerry) SD Concepts would respond to that "challenge".
I'm only bringing this up because Jerry is adamant about engineering issues, and my life is and will be better for having heeded his advice.
:luvplace:

The reason I disagree is that with any other engine, rotating the water pump backwards sends the coolant through the heads first, block, out to radiator and repeat. I can’t see how a Mopar BB would be any different.

I will do some checking, and get back to this subject.

It’s true, I have no degrees in anything, so if a Engineer tells you something, I’d listen......but I’m gonna double check just for my due diligence.

if you look closely, the meziere electric pump swaps the location of the water pump inlet to the block. its higher than the factory inlet from the cast housings. that's why they call that reverse cooling, but in reality it still feeds the block. the only way to cool the heads first is to plumb the coolant into the heads. no real good way to do that on a big block without a manifold and extra hoses. doable, but maybe not worth the effort

That was just one I found, many others.

If you have an old belt drive furnace fan with a reversible motor
spin the fan in reverse and it still blows air but less of it as it is the housing that determines direction of flow
The water pump with straight impeller vanes will pump the same amount of water no matter the direction

My biggest concern was IF the water pump spun backwards, I would have to replace my factory clutch fan, and I would like to keep it.
So it seems like the Wraptor spins the pump in the original direction, and I'm happy about that.
There are many options for doing something "other than factory" for belts, pulleys, accessories (AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump) etc.
Although I was originally looking at the SD Concepts setup, because it's a great value and uses readily available accessories, I am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED, WITHOUT RESERVATIONS in my choice of the CVF Black Diamond Wraptor! I'm finally going to have power steering :bananadance::poke::drinks:
:carrot:neener-neener:bananaweed:
a beautiful, small, discreet looking, strategically placed AC compressor, a new water pump, the performance and reliability of a self-adjusting EIGHT RIB single serpentine belt, and a 140 Amp alternator! All wrapped up in a Darth Vader like, menacing BAD ASSED looking setup that goes along with my valve covers and soon to be installed Wilwood master cylinder.
Screenshot_20191011-174717_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191110-220915_eBay.jpg
20191101_215030.jpg
Screenshot_20191011-174704_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back