• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shingles shot

Skytrooper

1SG (Ret.)
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
I just got my second vaccine yesterday. Today I am sicker than hell. Headache, body and joints just plain hurt, no appetite, some nausea.
The first one a couple months ago was no where near as bad. I have only gone outside when the dogs really had to go out. I couldnt even throw a ball for them and I sat in a lawn chair while they did the business. Laying down just trying to be somewhat comfortable.
I am bored to tears. I was going to adjust my front ride height ( on the car) today. It is a nice day, 81 degrees. Here I am inside and quite ill feeling.

Anybody else have such strong side effects to the shingles shot ? My wife had bad side effects the first time, and hers are worse today, too. So, while shuffling around and groaning with discomfort like I am 101 years old...I am taking care of her and the dogs and cats.

Sorry to hear that......

But.......the good part is that you know the shots are working and your immune system is making the adjustments.

If you didn't feel any dis-comfort at all....that syringe might've been full of water and not medicine.

Is the Shingles the new vaccine? Had no 9 or 10 years ago no problem. Probably due for another,Hmmm...... Wife has had shingles twice, mild cases but she's scratcher.

If you’ve had chickenpox, the shingles virus is inside you. Will you get shingles, maybe, maybe not. The shingles vaccine is supposed to protect you from getting shingles. The chickenpox vaccine that all kids are vaccinated for, well, they won’t ever get shingles cause they’ll never get chickenpox. I’m 3 days older than my aunt, she got chickenpox as an adult, and about 6 years ago she got shingles. That hurt her pretty good, meaning she wasn’t liking it. I had chickenpox when I was 7, 2 weeks of itching and scabs all over me. I won’t get the shingles vaccine cause I may never actually get shingles and if I do, I’ll deal with it.

Wife has been after me to get the shots, though she said reading about them, many people have nasty reactions like you describe. Don't want to get them when the weather is nice for this reason. Hope the shingles will hold for that, lol.
Hope you have a quick recovery like waking up tomorrow feeling fine.

@Skytrooper

hope you feel better soon

did you know, there is/are something like
11 (IIRC ?) different strains of the chicken pox virus
(it's not a one & done deal either)

I've had it twice
once at like 7-9 (?) y/o, like most kid of my era & then again
all my sisters & brother got it too
& I was vaccinated for everything under the sun in like 2nd grade...

I assumed I couldn't get chicken pox again, because I had it
already as a kid...
(that's a very common BS 'wives tale')

I got the chicken pox virus 'yet' again, at like 25-ish from a friend
that got chicken pox his 1st time at like 25-ish also,
I was bringing him some hydrogen peroxide to wipe down the spots
helped to make them not itch, some food & beer IIRC
(I assume it was a different strain of the 11 possible, than I had
some almost 20 years earlier
)
& no it's not that rare, to contract it again either

I figured I was a prime candidate for getting the shingles vaccine
since I've had 'chicken pox twice
', that I was dbl susceptible (?),
because of having CP 2 times
but;
I was told, more or less warned by my internist/personal dr.
to not get the Shingles vaccine
that it would not be needed
I don't remember his reasoning now,
I think (? ) it was something about natural immunity
(I don't 100% recall why)

carry on
do what you think is right
or what a professional or a dr. says, not the -www-

Last edited:
Getting chickenpox twice is very uncommon, almost never happens. You definitely weren’t the lucky one.

Skytrooper, i felt like that with both my shots, exactly 6 hrs after my shot i woke up shakin like a cold wet dog in the rain, felt just like you described, hang in there my friend!

My 1st shot didn’t bother me, but with the 2nd I had body aches and chills.

I contemplated getting a shingles shot, but since I don't know what else might be in it, nobody is getting near me with a needle.

My shingles vaccine gave me shingles! Terrible pain like the worst sunburn you've ever had. Sucked

Both shots made me feel like crap the day after each. Almost like the flu. I had the One shot years ago. My doctor advised me to do the Zostervax 2 shot again. He said the 2 shot was over 90% effectiveness. My wife had both shots the same time I did, but never felt very bad.
PT in Tennessee

If you’ve had chickenpox, the shingles virus is inside you. Will you get shingles, maybe, maybe not. The shingles vaccine is supposed to protect you from getting shingles. The chickenpox vaccine that all kids are vaccinated for, well, they won’t ever get shingles cause they’ll never get chickenpox. I’m 3 days older than my aunt, she got chickenpox as an adult, and about 6 years ago she got shingles. That hurt her pretty good, meaning she wasn’t liking it. I had chickenpox when I was 7, 2 weeks of itching and scabs all over me. I won’t get the shingles vaccine cause I may never actually get shingles and if I do, I’ll deal with it.

The shingles vaccine won't guarantee you won't get shingles. It should make getting them less severe. Just like the Influenza shot, you can still get it.

After having chicken pox the virus will travel into your spine between any one or two vertebraes. It will lay dormant there until something compromises your immune system. You can deplete your own amune system just by not taking care of yourself. Not eating, sleeping, exercising, depression ect. That's enough to have the virus reappear in the form of an infection. The infection occurs in the nerve endings along the path of the vertebrae that it was hiding. That's why you'll see people with the break out on different places on their body. It starts out as a rash and quickly turns into blisters. You have less than 24 hours to get the vaccine before it turns into something you're going to have to deal with for four to six weeks. If not caught in time the pain is excruciating.

And you can get them more than once. If you're around someone who has never had the chicken pox, you can give them chicken pox. It is a Herpes virus.

Last edited:
I got kinda tired slight fever and yes aches. But after about 2 days it went away.

And yes you do NOT want to get shingles.

1st and 2nd shots both knocked my *** down. Still went to work, but probably should have stayed home.
My Brother in law convinced me to get it says the area where the rash was still bothers him if he gets really sick. I know it's not 100% prevention, but hedging my bets is not a bad thing.

Auto Transport Service
Back