• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shirley, you can't be serious...

Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker watched Zero Hour and transcribed it, then wrote the script for Airplane.

...and also bought the rights.

Shirley? THat's my mother!

mom.jpg2.jpg

I had never seen Zero Hour or knew Airplane! Was based on it.
One night I stumbled across Zero Hour and thought it was familiar. When Sterling Hayden fumbled with an empty pack of smokes and says, "I picked a fine time to stop smoking" I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.
The Zuckerbergs followed Zero Hour almost scene for scene and, IMHO improved on it.

Man, they cut out the gratuitous boob shot...

My Dad was in his sixties when Airplane came out. Not long after, it showed up on cable. I was visiting and it came on the TV I was watching. My Dad was in another room so I walked in and changed the channel on him. "What the hell is this?"

Just watch, I told him. Minutes later, I head him chuckling.

It's fun to see type cast performers break out. Any Perry Mason fans?

My Dad was in his sixties when Airplane came out. Not long after, it showed up on cable. I was visiting and it came on the TV I was watching. My Dad was in another room so I walked in and changed the channel on him. "What the hell is this?"

Just watch, I told him. Minutes later, I head him chuckling.

Similar thing with my dad. He was dying of cancer. I put The Naked Gun movies on, the ones with O.J. Simpson. He laughed so hard I was worried that I would finish him off early. Great memories from a bad time.

What a treat to see these things when they came out... after a movie like this, your date night was easy...

Auto Transport Service
Back