• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silversport A41 Auotomatic transmission. Anyone using one?

Here is my 4L60E being mocked up for motor and transmission mounts. It was built by Phoenix Transmission in Texas. It uses a Quicktime Adapter Bell Housing, so it is a 93 up General Motors transmission. Mine is built for about 550 horsepower. I asked Greg at Phoenix what we would do if it didn't stand up to the motor. He said if it failed just send it back and he would rebuild for 1000 horsepower. Yes, they can be built for 1000 H.P. I wanted the overdrive and lockup converter to help with gas economy, and this seems to be a good decision today.
The A41 is not a good choice for any horsepower and that was why I did the 4L60E.
I looked at the 4L80, but the entire tunnel would have to be re-made as it is physically much larger than the 4L60. I only had to beat out the tunnel a little and made one rectangular box for the left side. The transmission has worked well, a few times WOT, BUT not raced.
Yes, probably $4k or better for everything.
Don't know about the comment that they are the same?
Just my 2 cents.
PT in Tennessee

002.JPG

Ok the OP asked about a A41, I didn’t know the A41 and 4160e are the same transmission.

Yes they are the same

Here is my 4L60E being mocked up for motor and transmission mounts. It was built by Phoenix Transmission in Texas. It uses a Quicktime Adapter Bell Housing, so it is a 93 up General Motors transmission. Mine is built for about 550 horsepower. I asked Greg at Phoenix what we would do if it didn't stand up to the motor. He said if it failed just send it back and he would rebuild for 1000 horsepower. Yes, they can be built for 1000 H.P. I wanted the overdrive and lockup converter to help with gas economy, and this seems to be a good decision today.
The A41 is not a good choice for any horsepower and that was why I did the 4L60E.
I looked at the 4L80, but the entire tunnel would have to be re-made as it is physically much larger than the 4L60. I only had to beat out the tunnel a little and made one rectangular box for the left side. The transmission has worked well, a few times WOT, BUT not raced.
Yes, probably $4k or better for everything.
Don't know about the comment that they are the same?
Just my 2 cents.
PT in Tennessee

View attachment 1255134

Is it a 4160e or 4L60e?

I have no practical knowledge, just curiosity here:
Current Mopars are out there new running some serious HP/TQ through 8 speed autos and
the manual 6 speeds, yet I don't remember seeing much from folks retrofitting either to
the older engines and I wondered why?
Adapters? Electronics?

Holley makes mounting kits for the nag1/TF8. You do have to cut.
Sound German automotive makes a kit to control..

Go with a 5 or 6 speed manual or a mopar trans. with a gearvendors. Or build a mopar overdrive trans, yes they can be built to handle the power but they aren’t as small as a GM 700R/ 4L60 or 80. All depends on your end goal.

here's a few more photos taken when it was up on a lift, before the wiring and plumbing was done.

20181025_153928.jpg 20181025_153949.jpg 20181025_154041_Burst01.jpg

Go with a 5 or 6 speed manual or a mopar trans. with a gearvendors. Or build a mopar overdrive trans, yes they can be built to handle the power but they aren’t as small as a GM 700R/ 4L60 or 80. All depends on your end goal.
A 5 or 6 speed required some pretty major floor surgery to install, the gearvendors is a nice option but only has a .78 OD ratio vs .70 for a 4L60E and no lockup torque converter. The 518/46RH Also needs major floor surgery. The 4L60E also has a 3.06 1st gear so a 4L60E with a 3.55 gear will launch like a 727/518 with a 4.10 gear and still turn 300 RPM less at 70 MPH

Guess what it boils down Chevy parts or mopar what’s your choice? I’m not a gm guy so I’d do the floor, or live with a trusty flite, or four speed. To me I like my mopar all mopar. To each their own, the choice is yours.

Depends on your power level, but I have a modified a500 behind my turbo 383. Low gear set, od, and lockup, no cutting in a b body.

I would not put a 4LslippyE behind a stout big block. Yes they can be built and can be reliable, the 3/4 clutch is the weak spot. The plastic accumulators are notorious for cracking, I would assume they have been replaced with aluminum ones. The pulse width modulation should also be addressed. I would look to 4L80 or gear vendors, cheaper by the time you build a 4L60

Depends on your power level, but I have a modified a500 behind my turbo 383. Low gear set, od, and lockup, no cutting in a b body.
It will be behind a 750 HP G2 Barton Hemi are you using an ultrbell to mount the 500 behind your B block?

Are any of these OD transmissions based off the Turbo 400?

It will be behind a 750 HP G2 Barton Hemi are you using an ultrbell to mount the 500 behind your B block?
TransTech in Dubuque Iowa takes a BB727 bell and bolts it to the a500. Their setup is meant for cruisers more than racers. He also does 518's but you normally have to massage the floor a bit then. I had him do some race 904 upgrades in mine, but I'm not making anywhere near 750hp, I don't think anyone would want the a500 behind that.

Auto Transport Service
Back