• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sink disposal install questions...

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
Guys, this is my first disposal installation and not sure how it goes. Since the unit only replaces one drain on one side of a double sink how do you run the other side of the sink thru the unit. Would that be to get an adapter and run the other sink bowl into the dish washer inlet on the disposal. Surly one does not need two units for a double sink, but I have not found a double inlet unit in searching. thanks..

You don't.

They are designed to service ONE basin.

You just have to use that basin to do your "disposing".

BTW- pay extra for at least the first level of "quiet" insulation.

Each level is pricey, but I'm sure glad I sprang for it.

It's easier to show you.

tbCOm5D.gif

As stated, the unit is solely for the sink you installed it.

That install has the outbound pipe from the disposal going up hill.

I wouldn't recommend doing that.

I think the OP wanted to use the disposal for both basins (which they are not designed for).

I could go on and on, but this is how It's done.

It's easy really...Have a Plumber do it and then it is done correctly. It's amazing how a DIY job can come back and bite you when selling your home and it fails the home inspection. Money well spent...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Are we reading the OP?

He wants to use ONE disposal for a sink with TWO basins.

No can do, unless you rig it real bad.

The mount that handles the torque of the unit does so by clamping to the sink drain.

Mount it different (as in trying to put it below a Y pipe, and it will torque it's self off the pipe.

Run the other basin into the DW pipe, and your waste to be disposed won't make it to the blades because the pipe is MUCH narrower and you've introduced a nearly 90 degree bend.

He's NOT asking how to install it on a single basin.

Thanks Guys, I was wanting to grind both basins with one unit and I see that is not do able. Guess I will just grind one and tee into the p trap to waste out. This is for my shop and my first time dealing with plumbing in a slab. In my last house I found out keeping food waste out of the plumbing prevents plumbing service calls greatly.

I recently had some granite and a new sink put in my Kitchen.. I thought I would try something different and go NO disposal..
Found this on Prime and it has been working really well, better than I thought as a matter of fact.. The basket sits inside the drain and you just dump it in the trash bag when needed..

DSCF0825.JPG DSCF0827.JPG

Pay attention to the #8 post... that corrugated line is from the dishwasher and attaching to the top of the disposal,,, , be sure to knock out the stopper in the disposal itself, (put a screwdriver in to that hole and knock out the knock out if your joining your line there.) Other then that just do the pipiong as Hey-O has shown you.
all this is said by a plumber if that means anything..

...and don't forget to fish the knockout out of the pipe!

...and be aware that some DW brands require the discharge hose be held as high as possible until the hose goes into the disposal.

I got burned on this because I was used to GE dishwashers that don't require this.

...and don't forget to fish the knockout out of the pipe!

...and be aware that some DW brands require the discharge hose be held as high as possible until the hose goes into the disposal.

I got burned on this because I was used to GE dishwashers that don't require this.
Most brands have the loop built in now. It doesn’t hurt if you raise it anyway, it’s actually to act as a trap. What happened with getting burned?

Just didn't do that when installing a non-GE brand for a friend.

Ended up getting backed up.

Auto Transport Service
Back