• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Block to Big Block conversion

Propwash

Local time
8:13 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a cousin with a 68' satellite. It has a 318/904 combo. He recently bought a 383 and a 727 to match. I have never done the conversion myself but hopefully some of you guys could give me a few pointers to pass along.

What I can figure is he will definitly needs to swap out motor mounts but the other things I don't know for sure, I need your help on:

Kick down linkage?
Throttle cable?
Transmission Mount?
Can he use the same driveshaft? Bigger? Shorter? more/less splines in yoke?
Upgrade torsion bars?
Upgrade radiator? (I believe his is a 22")
Upgrade brakes? (He has 10" drum front/rear)
Any other changes needed????

Thanks for all your help

Hey Guys,

I have a cousin with a 68' satellite. It has a 318/904 combo. He recently bought a 383 and a 727 to match. I have never done the conversion myself but hopefully some of you guys could give me a few pointers to pass along.

What I can figure is he will definitly needs to swap out motor mounts but the other things I don't know for sure, I need your help on:

Kick down linkage?
Throttle cable?
Transmission Mount?
Can he use the same driveshaft? Bigger? Shorter? more/less splines in yoke?
Upgrade torsion bars?
Upgrade radiator? (I believe his is a 22")
Upgrade brakes? (He has 10" drum front/rear)
Any other changes needed????

Thanks for all your help

Not sure how much difference there is between 68 and 72, here's my best guess based on what I changed when I replaced my 318 with a 440:

Kickdown linkage will probably be different (I went to aftermarket cable kickdown since my intake sits higher than stock, so stock kickdown wouldn't work anyway)
Reused throttle cable, just added aftermarket linkage matching carb and intake selection
Driveshaft will be roughly 4 inches shorter, and I believe the 904 and 727 use different number of splines (I'd have to look it up to be sure)
Torsion bars are your choice - Mopar Performance recommends lighter torsion bars for drag racing (6 cylinder bars for most) but if the car is going to be street driven, you may want to step up to larger diameter bars for stiffer spring rate. I kept my originals and they work fine, but I don't do much road driving so cornering is not a big concern
I also changed radiators, both for increased size and proper hose location
As for brakes, as long as you are modifying, 10 inch drums are too small for that size car anyway in my opinion. I switched to discs using the knuckles from a 75 A body and rotors/calipers from a 78 Cordoba (and master cylinder and proportioning valve from 74 Charger)

Hey 72,

I really appreciate the info. If he wasn't such a amish caveman, he could actually join the the rest of civilization here and press you guys for all this info...Anyway, thanks again I'll be sure to pass along the info.

Throttle bracket for kickdown and thottle,radiator,driveshaft,igniton wires short,exhaust,shifter linkage,

Auto Transport Service
Back