• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So, at what age should we STOP taking on project cars?

Unfortunately, it is a lifelong affliction with no know cure. Be sure to have a final project around to be buried in with a torque wrench in your hand.

golf is for people who can't build cars........and I'd rather catch a bass on my day off

yup!
bass.jpg

I used to worry about that as well. But I will keep building as long as I enjoy it (and can do it). I had a friend that was in his 80's that was building his dream street rod. I guess I shouldn't feel bad at 61. I have 5 more to build at this time sitting here.

I too have a friend that is 80 and works on cars everyday.Another is 84 and still goes to work at his machine shop everyday building engines.Me I'm 60, and like others, Cars keep finding me ! I tell my wife "This is the last one". Her reply "YEAH RIGHT !"

I sold my drag car about 5 years ago,Had plans on building another.I have the car and all the parts.But for some reason no motivation. I love the thrill of making a pass.I don't love the long waits and only getting 2 maybe 3 passes in a day at the track.

Last edited:
DSCN9836.JPG
I too have a friend that is 80 and works on cars everyday.Another is 84 and still goes to work at his machine shop everyday building engines.Me I'm 60, and like others, Cars keep finding me ! I tell my wife "This is the last one". Her reply "YEAH RIGHT !"

I sold my drag car about 5 years ago,Had plans on building another.I have the car and all the parts.But for some reason no motivation. I love the thrill of making a pass.I don't love the long waits and only getting 2 maybe 3 passes in a day at the track.
I built a drag car then lost all interest in it. Kept it for 5 years then sold it never making a pass. I will probably always regret not doing that even once.

this was our haul from 5 days of fishing up in Minesooooota bout 5 miles south of the border. Lots of perch and northern...

Ash Trail 16 (456).JPG

Still working on them will be 71 this year but the heavy work I leave to my sons to craw under the car and help me out. A few advil and good to go a few more rounds. I have one project that I am going to sell and work on the three running cars I have left. It is my therapy to get out in the shop and enjoy my cars.

just turned 67 and did my last engine swap 3 years ago and that will be my last.. sticking to less physical stuff so bigger projects are out ...I don't currently own a keeper , been flipping some that needed minor repairs ...but I've got my eye out for a charger or early trans am and at there prices I guess it may well be a project car I'll get, but not a large one, those days are behind me...I still enjoy getting my hands dirty and I'm to impatient to fish

67GTX440, Not buried with a torque wrench,Sister-in-law buried my brother in his work clothes and his pocket screwdriver that he was never without.

I'm the same age dealing with the same issues for 2 years now. We may never be lifting transmissions out on our own but I have hope that the docs can do something which allows us enjoy this hobby again one day. Best of luck to you because we are too young to be dealing with this ****!
It's rough I've had surgery one witch was supposed to be the fix all. I've since then been in worse shape I just recently had a nerve block done to pin point the problem nerve 100% pain free for a week and a half it was great till it all came back ! But now they know what the problem is and in my next surgery they say they can fix it . I got nothing to loose at this point , let's hope for a successful surgery . I'll be happy with being able to go out and weld or install upholstery in the car .

No age limit. One uncle died at 92 still wrenching on his two fishing boats (4 engines, Mercury V6s). The other uncle died at 87 still fixing and painting houses.......... So, when would one STOP doing what he or she loves is at the individual's own decisions. :thumbsup:

I'll go as long as I can. I'm 68 now and I usually feel pretty good but those years of working as a lineman have finally caught up with me. I can still get under a car and do stuff if it doesn't require heavy lifting. Some days my back and knees don't want to cooperate. Thank God for Advil and a strong son-in-law.

If I don't get it done
It can be my coffin
Just wrap me in a blanket
Lay me against the firewall and Bury the damn thing..

Auto Transport Service
Back