• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So It Begins, 1966 Charger Restification.

Hi All,

Sorry I have not updated everyone lately on the Charger. I have been busy putting the beginning of the build to the present (right now) on the Moparts, 66-67Charger.com, and MoparForums.com forums recently as I am now members there. My Moparts code name is SportFuryS/23383, my 66-67Charger.com forum code name is the same as here 66ChargerHI-PO, and my MoparForums code name is SportFury70 (as it also is on FCBO.)

Here is the latest update on the car...... A lot of work has been done lately. I will start from the beginning of what has been done recently so far.

First, the valves were hand-lapped and the heads were ported a little bit. This was done last Friday April 17th, 2020. Here are a few pictures.....
heads 1.jpeg
heads 2.jpg
heads 3.jpeg

Last edited:
We Struck Gold!! :D. Not really, I wish :(. Just opened up the headers box and took one out to see what they looked like. That's mainly it. We opened the box on Saturday April 18th, 2020.....
gold 1.jpeg
gold 2.jpeg
gold 3.jpeg
gold 4.jpeg
gold 5.jpeg
gold 6.jpeg

We Now Have Silver Color!!!:) :thumbsup:. It was applied Sunday April 19th, 2020. This is 2 coats before 2 clear coats.
paint 1 main.jpeg
paint 1 a.jpeg
paint 2.jpeg
paint 3 main.jpeg
paint 3 a.jpeg
paint 4.jpeg

Above are more spot welds I did not notice before.....
paint 5.jpeg
paint 6.jpeg
paint 7.jpeg
paint 8.jpeg

Last edited:
A few more of the paint, last ones. I'm getting excited for the engine to back in already......
paint 1.jpeg
paint 2 a.jpeg
paint 3.jpeg
20200419_133732.jpeg

Last edited:
You guys sure are going to town, lets see some pic's of your paint gun.

You guys sure are going to town, lets see some pic's of your paint gun.

Thanks I appreciate it Roger. I actually did not think of getting a picture of the gun, sorry about that. This is mainly all the pictures I have for now anyways.

Last edited:
2 Coats Of Clear Are Now On!! It was applied the same day as the silver, Monday April 19th 2020. More to come....
clear 1.jpeg
clear 2.jpeg
clear 3.jpeg
clear 4.jpeg
clear 5.jpeg
clear 6.jpeg
clear 7.jpeg
clear 8.jpeg
clear 9.jpeg
clear 10.jpeg

More. Notice anymore factory spot welds?. Got some on the core support, and by the cowl on both sides that I did not notice before.....
clear 11.jpeg
clear 12.jpeg
clear 13.jpeg
clear 15.jpeg
right side welds.jpeg
EMB.jpeg
clear 16.jpeg
clear 16 a.jpeg
clear 17.jpeg

A couple more of the spot welds, left side by the cowl. Now onto cleaning and painting the K member.....
left side welds 1.jpeg
left side welds 2.jpeg

K Member Time! It was cleaned, sanded, and painted Tuesday April 21st, 2020. Here are pictures of it before.....
K member before 1.jpeg
K member before 2.jpeg
K member before 3.jpeg
K member before 4.jpeg

Motor mount.....
K member before 5.jpeg

Steering box, date coded October 22nd 1965 at least to my knowledge.....

Last edited:
After sanding and painting.......
K member after 1.jpeg
K member after 2.jpeg
K member after 3.jpeg
K member after 4.jpeg

That is all for now. The most recent thing that was done, was painting the top side of the engine. Stay tuned for that......

It would be a good idea to replace the front seal on the transmission while you have the engine out.

It would be a good idea to replace the front seal on the transmission while you have the engine out.

Thank you for the advice Mr. Frelier. It will be checked when we take the torque converter out. As of right now it does not leak so it should be fine, but will check just in case. I will update you when it happens, most likely tomorrow as it is raining and is a lousy day here today. Stay tuned.......:)

Last edited:
Yes but if it's an old seal, simply pulling the torque converter in and out might cause it to start leaking.
It's an easy seal to change and inexpensive.
Now is the time to do it.
Also be careful when putting the torque converter back in that it seats all the way.
Note where it sits relative to the front of the casing now.
It needs to be there when the motor goes back in and gets bolted up.
Looks good have fun with it.

Yes but if it's an old seal, simply pulling the torque converter in and out might cause it to start leaking.
It's an easy seal to change and inexpensive.
Now is the time to do it.
Also be careful when putting the torque converter back in that it seats all the way.
Note where it sits relative to the front of the casing now.
It needs to be there when the motor goes back in and gets bolted up.
Looks good have fun with it.
ANY fully engaged, and all the way in the trans, makes a nice clunk going in

Auto Transport Service
Back