• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So It Begins, 1966 Charger Restification.

Turquoise would be correct.
Just an FYI

Turquoise would be correct.
Just an FYI

If you mean the engine I am well aware of that, but the engine has a casting date of 6-6-1966 (see engine photos) so by then most likely it would have been in a 1967 or 1968 car already. It also was already painted orange when we got the car. That said the engine will be orange again, we want something different and the car will be a different exterior color and restified anyhow so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Update- The original horns are now sandblasted and painted. They were blasted and painted today April 5th, 2020. I am pretty happy with these, as I again personally painted them. Here are the before paint pictures.....
20200405_155602.jpeg
20200405_155622.jpeg
horns 3.jpeg
horns 4.jpeg
horns 5.jpeg
horns 6.jpeg
horns 7.jpeg
horn 8.jpeg

Last edited:
Update- The engine block is now painted HEMI orange. The paint used was Dupli-color Chrysler HEMI Orange DE1652, see last picture. It was painted Monday April 6th, 2020.
engine 1.jpeg
engine 2.jpeg
engine 3.jpeg
engine 4.jpeg
engine 5.jpeg
engine 6.jpeg

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a nice Easter with your families, and hope you are all well and trying to stay busy. Just letting you all know that I have an update on the Charger. On Easter Sunday April 12th, 2020, we decided to pressure wash the engine heads. They were washed with a hot high pressured gun, but unfortunately not everything came off. Also that said you should of seen all the 30 plus year old nasty rust sludge that came out, pretty disgusting. After power washing here is what we have, notice some turquoise paint now showing. Mind you this is a picture of one head......
heads 1.jpeg
heads 2.jpeg
heads 3.jpeg

Sorry I only have 2 pictures of the other head. I don't know if I have a picture of this already, sorry if it is a repeat......
heads 4.jpeg

heads 5.jpeg

New Update- The front end in front of the core support outside the engine bay where the headlights go was sanded and primered. It was sanded around Easter Sunday April 12th, 2020. primered yesterday Tuesday April 15th, 2020. Some before pictures with it sanded......
front 1.jpeg
front 2 main.jpeg
front 2 a.jpeg
front 2b.jpeg
drivers headlight 1.jpeg passengers headlight 1.jpeg

Pictures of factory spot welds and paint mess ups. In my opinion I always like seeing these types of things and think they are interesting......
welds 1.jpeg

Sorry if it is blurry. Notice the welds where the L chrome piece goes
welds 2.jpeg

More spot welds on the core support. What is that circle stamping looking thing?
welds 3.jpeg

Here is a more clear picture than the one 2 pictures ago above, notice the spot welds
welds 4.jpeg
paint 1.jpeg

Yes this is factory.
paint.jpeg
20200414_200126.jpeg

Just found this thread. My 383 has the same casting date of 6-6-66. I thought it was pretty strange when I got the motor home and found the #s. Mine was a two barrel model with the pistons way down. I ran that same pan at first, but it sucked air very bad under hard acceleration. You will not know this with the factory oil gauge, it way to slow. Do your self and the engine a favor. Get a mechanical oil gauge before you run it.

My 383 has the same casting date of 6-6-66. I thought it was pretty strange when I got the motor home and found the #s. Mine was a two barrel model with the pistons way down.

I am confused here, I thought the 2bbl version would be a 361?

Auto Transport Service
Back