• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So It Begins, 1966 Charger Restification.

Really nice job, keep up the good work. I'm partial to these and one of the few B bodies I've yet to own (any Chargers). I'm partial to the 66-67 & 68-69's.

snook

Yes but if it's an old seal, simply pulling the torque converter in and out might cause it to start leaking.
It's an easy seal to change and inexpensive.
Now is the time to do it.

Thank you again for the info Mr. Frelier. The converter was taken out, and the seal was checked and it looks very good. (See pictures in my next thread.) I also forgot to add that the transmission was already rebuilt before we got the car.

Really nice job, keep up the good work. I'm partial to these and one of the few B bodies I've yet to own (any Chargers). I'm partial to the 66-67 & 68-69's.

snook

Thank you Mr. Snook for the kind words, I much appreciate it. It makes me feel good that we are doing a nice job and doing this here for all the b-body, and 1st gen Charger folks to see. Thank you also for now following the build, it is also much appreciated! :)

Seal and transmission pictures. We took the stock torque converter out today April 24th 2020 to check the seals, and were going to replace the converter with a more snappy one to get off the line quicker. That plan unfortunately did not work out, so the stock converter is going back in. We did however learn that the transmission is a 1970 B & E body transmission, and has a 19 spline converter. Look at the last picture of the pan rail numbers.....
trans 1.jpeg
trans 2.jpeg
trans 3.jpeg
trans 4.jpeg
trans 5.jpeg
trans 6 main.jpeg
trans 6.jpeg

Good morning everyone. I just figured I would post up more pictures of the engine, this time of the top half getting painted. This was done Thursday April 23rd, 2020. Below are picturesof it before the top half was painted. Note the cylinder head that we put back on in the first picture so we could paint the sides of those as well. Notice in the 4th picture that the valve covers are back on, they are there to protect the top of the inside of the cylinder heads. They will not be used on the engine though, the plan is to save them just in case we need them and put new chrome Direct Connection ones on instead......
engine 1.jpeg
engine 3.jpeg
engine 2.jpeg
engine 4.jpeg

Engine bolts before paint, all cleaned and ready. These were painted yesterday April 24th, 2020......
engine bolts before.jpeg

A few pictures of the new sway bar bushing kit. Got this the same time we got the new brake booster, forgot when it was though. This is a 1967 C-body kit and will interchange.....
bushings 1.jpeg
bushings 2.jpeg
bushings 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Some final engine bay pictures before the engine goes back in. Notice the battery tray is bolted in, as well as the rest of the brake lines. So that means all the brake lines are done. Now onto some goodies that got delivered from Jegs.....
engine bay 1.jpeg
engine bay 2.jpeg
engine bay 3.jpeg
engine bay 4.jpeg
engine bay 5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice job! Working on my buds 66 as well, got the o2 bung and exhaust done today, should be by next weekend IF all goes well..

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. Thank you also for now following the build, I appreciate it. I think it's awesome to always hear from another Charger guy. Do you by chance have a link or anything for your build?

The Engine Is Finally Going Back In! It was done Friday April 24th, 2020. It's "funny" how it takes more time to put an engine back in a car than it is taking it out. We must of spent at least an hour getting it lined up and back in. Here are some pictures......
engine in 1.jpeg
engine in 2.jpeg
engine in 3.jpeg
engine in 4.jpeg
engine in 5.jpeg
engine in 6.jpeg

Thanks to Mr. @Fran Blacker, it gave us some ambition today to clean the old starter a little bit. Here is a picture of the numbers that are on it. Talking to Fran he determined the starter is a '69 starter that was built most likely around March, April, or May. Thank you Fran for helping me out, I really appreciate it. Would anyone be interested in it? I however do not believe it still works, the last time we put it in the car it did not do anything......
Charger starter.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that I have some original 10 X 2 1/2 front drum brakes and hardware from the Charger that I am selling. I am selling the front drums, spindles, bearings and everything else. I am asking $70.00 for everything and could deliver them to Carlisle this year if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I will not ship these. IF ANYBODY IS INTERESTED IN THEM ACT FAST, THEY WILL BE THROWN OUT NEXT WEEK!

Thanks everyone

charger brakes.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Sorry I have not provided an update on the Charger in a little while, it has been coming along lately and a lot of work has been done. I first want to start with the interior, the drivers seat is now out of the car and sold thanks to someone on Moparts, as I am also a member there. It was taken out of the car on Monday April 27th, 2020 and sold Tuesday April 28th, 2020. I figured I would double check the seat back to see if there was a broadcast sheet in there just in case, I unscrewed the bottom seat back screws and popped it open........Unfortinatley nothing, :(. I however do think I may have found something under the passenger seat though, but not sure if it is a broadcast sheet or not. More on that in a bit. Here are a few pictures of when the seat was out of the car and before the interior was vacuumed out. Pretty disgusting.........
seat out 1.jpeg
seat out 2.jpeg
seat out 3.jpeg
seat out 4.jpeg

Last picture above is the bottom of the seat after it was out, good thing they make new foam for these......

Update-

April 30th, 2020. The new brake booster was painted, 2 and final coats of paint were on this when I took these pictures.

booster 1.jpeg
booster 2.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back