• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So....Speedmaster is a thief and a fraud...

Krooser

Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
So Speedmaster has been caught selling valve bodies that they produce but Have Broader Performance's name carved into the body .

The Broader owner posted a video after he received a product complaint from a fella that purchased one of his valve bodies from Summit .

The problem is Broader does not sell to Summit

Oops...

I have no interest in buying anything Speedmaster, ProComp (their former name which they had to change after being found guilty of fraudulent selling practices in Aussieland) or any of those ChiCom outfits.

I know a lot of you have SM parts on your card. Some really like their stuff. I get it. But after having two major issues with junk parts coming from China years ago (a flywheel with mis machined mounting holes and shorty headers so warped that they were unusable) I swore off buying any major offshore parts).

Now Summit and Jegs has decided to pull ALL Speedmaster parts off their shelves AND DESTROY THEM to keep them off the market.

Here's a couple vids covering the issues...kudos to Summit and Jegs. Good job.

Good post! Root em out and run em off. Isn’t there a federal law that prohibits this kind of thievery? They usually go after the big dogs - Well the guilty party looks to be a pretty good sized dog. Would you believe they even appear to sell or have fronts in Red China….I looked to see if they were on the Big Board or NASDAQ but it doesn’t look like it…. If this is at all as it appears - I hope they’re run back to Mongolia…. Or further if there is anyplace further …..

Counterfeit parts are a huge problem for US companies.
When I worked at Timken, there was a constant effort to combat it. There was even a big effort to find packaging with counterfeit Timken labels.

Having said that, they brought it on theirselves by moving manufacturing equipment and facilities TO China.

I know I sound like a broken record on this subject, but we have to do something about it.

All my cars have cost me, probably twice as much as they should to build.... as I try to help keep American companies in business.

US patents mean nothing to China manufacturers that copy our products. Did Broader Performance even have a patent on that valve body? Just asking because I'm curious. Like it or not, China copies anything, but the US stampings, patent numbers, and brand names shouldn't show up on the copy.

US patents mean nothing to China manufacturers that copy our products. Did Broader Performance even have a patent on that valve body? Just asking because I'm curious. Like it or not, China copies anything but the US stampings, patent numbers, and brand names shouldn't show up on the copy.
My guess is that they were told to make a copy of the part, and that's what they did. They probably did not know what the words meant, weather they were they name of the part, company, or directions for use.

I have seen a Chinese copy of a Swiss OD Grinder (these things were 6 figures in the 80's) that had levers and handles that were not hooked up to anything. Most likely they didn't take time to figure out the more advanced features of the machine they were ripping off.

Sad thing is we now find ourselves with "leaders" that won't hold China accountable for intellectual theft. That is about all I can say here.

Now that I think about it, they probably thought "Broader Performance" meant that it would work in more applications.

I worked at Canadian Timken in Quality Control during the '70's. Right across the street in St. Thomas, Ontario, was a large Ford dealership. At one time, they flew a huge banner proclaiming, "Buy the Cars Your Neighbours Make!" , referring to the Ford Talbotville assembly plant, just outside of town. Ironically, Ford was putting Japanese bearings in all these cars. Not very neighbourly.

I had a very petite Chinese woman ask me if she could walk with me from the hotel to the shuttle bus for the SEMA show in Vegas. She was a manufacturers rep for a number of Chinese companies, all who specialized in reverse engineering and copying anything and everything. She made no bones about it, get her a sample and they could replicate it.

I see it a lot in the heavy truck industry, offshore products look legit but rarely perform as well as reputable brands due to inferior materials or workmanship.

I will confess 40 years ago I was partners in a racing souvenir bidness where we sold custom made cloisonne pins, buttons and such.

We had a US manufacturer that we did business with. We would mail a copy of the design to them
They would make a sample then ship it back to us...six to eight weeks later.

We went to trade shows every year to buy product. In Chicago we met a Hong Kong based outfit that did custom work.

We drew a rough design on a piece of paper. Four days later we got a FedEx package from Hong Kong with a sample and a price.

We normally paid about $1.80 for a souvenir pin and sold them for $4.00. This outfit's price was 40 cents and had a one week delivery via FedEx.

Our regular supplier took three months to produce and ship our product.

You can guess who we had make our pins after that!

We tried to get faster service from our US mfg. without any luck.

This hobby is really becoming loaded with pitfalls. I would hate to be a youngster trying to wade my through restoring an old car or even just keeping one running.

The trouble with speedmaster parts is that they are sometimes (black friday) SOO cheap, it's hard to resist.
And sometimes, it's the difference between getting an engine running, or having not enough parts/budget to finish.
Or sometimes, money saved in one area of a build enables extravagant spending in another are of the build.
I bought a topend kit for a rat motor, easily $4000 worth of American made parts ....... for $850 from speedmaster. I DONT expect $4000 worth of performance from them, but I did buy a stroker kit for the rat, with the savings.

This hobby is really becoming loaded with pitfalls. I would hate to be a youngster trying to wade my through restoring an old car or even just keeping one running.

I've been saying it.........the hobby has become very challenging to say the least, so glad I still have a lot of usable, old stuff hanging around

Consumers are the problem, take away the market and the junk will disappear. Why anyone needs Chinese are Taiwan parts on their American muscle is beyond me. On my last two Challengers I threw more repro junk in the garbage can than I care to remember. I just want refurbished original parts on my cars now. It makes it very tough with sheetmetal as you have to take what you get. I can do without a stroker crank though and I'll just run the 50 year old stock crank instead.

Auto Transport Service
Back