• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So The Patriots Were Cheating... Again

Do I correctly assume that there will be other investigations?

Aaron Rodgers Likes To Tamper With Footballs, Too

We truly are living in "bead and circus". If the news paid this much attention and asked as many questions of our elected officials about Benghazi, IRS, illegals, Obamacare, etc, do, we would have a different country right now.

I keep hearing Patriots fans saying that based on how lopsided the score was, the use of under-inflated balls really didn't make a difference. This reminds me a lot of 2004 when the Patriots came into Heinz Field with a 21-week win streak and left that day with a 34-20 loss. When the Steelers played the Patriots a few months later in the AFC Championship game, the Patriots won HUGE with a 41-27 score. Where the Patriots Offense couldn't move the ball against the Steelers defense in the regular season, they were able to run circles around them in the playoffs.

After the game, Hines Ward commented that it seemed like Tom Brady knew what the Steelers defense was doing before the defense did, and of course he was ridiculed for that comment. It was all "sour grapes" and the Steelers just didn't want to admit that the genius coach Belichek, and the ever magnificent Brady, had just done a better job of playing the game.

It wasn't until three years later that we found out Ward had been right. Brady did know what the Steelers defense was doing before the defense did because the Patriots had illegally videotaped the defense's signals during the regular season game, were reading them during the playoff game, and telling Brady through his helmet radio what the defense was going to do. He knew before he broke the huddle what the defensive alignment was going to be, who was going to blitz and who was dropping into coverage, and he knew before he snapped the ball who would be open and who wouldn't, all of which enabled him to stay one step ahead and run up a 41-point score.

Would the Patriots have achieved such a lop-sided score or even beat the Steelers had they not been cheating? Not likely. Do I think Brady would have moved the ball as effectively in the first half without rigged balls? Yes, the Patriots did defeat the Colts during the regular season, but that was in a domed stadium, not an outdoor stadium in a pouring rain, which is an environment no team scores a lot of points in; and apparently they were using rigged balls during the regular season game as well, so I suspect they wouldn't have done as well in either game without cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

Do I correctly assume that there will be other investigations?

Aaron Rodgers Likes To Tamper With Footballs, Too

The writer of that post left off a significant part of what Rodgers said. He also said that he's had an extra .5 PSI of air added to some of his balls to see if they can get them past the referee check. Slight difference between adding extra air before a check and hoping the refs won't notice, and properly inflating the balls for the check and then letting out air afterwards.

We truly are living in "bead and circus". If the news paid this much attention and asked as many questions of our elected officials about Benghazi, IRS, illegals, Obamacare, etc, do, we would have a different country right now.

That stuff is not half as interesting as football. Besides, football effects ALL Americans. Obamacare only effects 1/72 of us.

The writer of that post left off a significant part of what Rodgers said. He also said that he's had an extra .5 PSI of air added to some of his balls to see if they can get them past the referee check. Slight difference between adding extra air before a check and hoping the refs won't notice, and properly inflating the balls for the check and then letting out air afterwards.

So what you are saying is that altered ball inflation is ok if it slides by an incompetent official? Pa-lease!!!

Let's face it; there is "rule bending/cheating" in every professional sport. Always has been and always will be. From steroids to ball pressure. Now if the same standards were applied to all of our favorite race car drivers from the 60's & 70's, what would the record books look like today?

What I'm saying is there's a difference in intent. If the Packers add an extra .5 PSI before inspection, it's most likely going to get caught and corrected, which is why you're hearing Rodgers say this and not the NFL. What the Patriots did was provide properly inflated balls for the inspection and then tampered with the afterwards. I've got less of a problem with someone trying to get one past the refs than I do for someone who purposefully misleads the refs.

- - - Updated - - -

Now if the same standards were applied to all of our favorite race car drivers from the 60's & 70's, what would the record books look like today?

Possibly different, but would that be a bad thing? Or is rewarding cheating a good thing for sports? Also, would there be a difference in accountability if a team placed a mod on a car before inspection and it was ordered removed and one where a team modified an approved car after the inspection was made? You can bet your *** there would be a HUGE difference in how NASCAR would respond. :)

Bru's quote:
"The writer of that post left off a significant part of what Rodgers said. He also said that he's had an extra .5 PSI of air added to some of his balls to see if they can get them past the referee check. Slight difference between adding extra air before a check and hoping the refs won't notice, and properly inflating the balls for the check and then letting out air afterwards. "

Again, WE are forgetting something:
FACT: The Patriots footballs were corrected before the start of the 2nd half....

PATS scored 21 points in the 3rd quater (Properly inflated balls) AND 7 points in the 4th quater (Properly inflated balls)

So ....what is your point?

twitter-krispykreme.png

According to my buddy's wife, there is absolutely no advantage to be had playing with deflated balls ... :rolling:

I disagree.If the balls were tampered with it still had no difference with the out come of the game. They scored more points after halftime when the balls were replaced. Just another way of putting down a great team .Sports is getting unreal. Let them play and get rid of all the silly rules that realy don't make any sense.

A receiver from the Colts It was an interception from Brady!

Actually, it seems that the Baltimore Ravens had an insider that notified the NFL
Before the game started.

Gee, the referees didnt notice it?
Doah!

"The investigation began promptly on Sunday night. Over the past several days, nearly 40 interviews have been conducted, including of Patriots personnel, game officials, and third parties with relevant information and expertise."

But as of yesterday, the NFL's Keystone Cops haven't talked to Brady. DUH!!!!!

Whatever opinion you have, it can't be denied that this is the greatest thing that could happen before a Super Bowl. All this pre-game attention that they are getting will translate into huge ratings which equals big bucks & THAT is what it's all about.

"The investigation began promptly on Sunday night. Over the past several days, nearly 40 interviews have been conducted, including of Patriots personnel, game officials, and third parties with relevant information and expertise."

But as of yesterday, the NFL's Keystone Cops haven't talked to Brady. DUH!!!!!

Whatever opinion you have, it can't be denied that this is the greatest thing that could happen before a Super Bowl. All this pre-game attention that they are getting will translate into huge ratings which equals big bucks & THAT is what it's all about.

Sadly, you are correct Sir ...

Sadly, you are correct Sir ...

That's exactly what its all about.
I wonder why no Seachicken fans have chimed in on this. Maybe they are patiently awaitng the impending @ss kicking they're going to get on Feb 1.

X2

I heard one guy state that if ball pressure was that aggregous of an issue, the NFL would have instituted a fine much larger than 25 large.

The NFL has more serious things to worry about.....like putting a fine or suspension on Marshawn Lynch for wanting to wear gold cleats....or putting a fine on Marshawn Lynch for not wanting to talk to stupid reporters.......

Priorities man...PRIORITIES!!!!!!

Impending *** kickin........HA HA HA HA HA Yeah....right.......!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back