• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something from the movie "Die Hard" that everybody missed...

I always make note of the posted gas prices in background of TV and movie shows.

.77/gal?
That's kinda high.
1969-1970 Santa Rosa, California.
Gas was .25/gal for name brands
and independents sold gas as low
as .18/gal.
I remember my dad filling up his
'59 Olds for around $5.00.

More importantly ....

1. Anyone ever counted how many rounds Arnold Schwarzenegger fires off from each weapon in any of his movies?
2. Anyone got an accurate count as to how many gears Steve McQueen's Mustang had in the movie Bullitt?
3. Did anyone notice that sometimes the Dukes of Hazzard good ole boys drove different model Chargers? :p

.77/gal?
That's kinda high.
1969-1970 Santa Rosa, California.
Gas was .25/gal for name brands
and independents sold gas as low
as .18/gal.
I remember my dad filling up his
'59 Olds for around $5.00.
Sorry, man. Your memory is a mile off. I'm curious about why you think that 1969 gas prices have to do with a movie made in the 80s?

01 adadadx - Copy.png

Die Hard was released in 1988. Gas prices were 96 cents on average so there isn't much chance of it being 25% of that price anywhere, especially in California.

More importantly ....

1. Anyone ever counted how many rounds Arnold Schwarzenegger fires off from each weapon in any of his movies?
All of them...
2. Anyone got an accurate count as to how many gears Steve McQueen's Mustang had in the movie Bullitt?
All of them...
3. Did anyone notice that sometimes the Dukes of Hazzard good ole boys drove different model Chargers? :p
Don't be hatin' on the Duke boys....

:lol:

1971, I remember 25c a gallon gas and 2 qt. size Pepsi bottles for free on fill-up. Other stations had green stamps. I did not particularly think 25c was cheap, but I love Pepsi cola. I drove a '71 Fury II for the company and my wife drove a '70 corolla. $3 to fill up Toyota which we were getting 40+ mpg on the HI way.
We didn't have any kids yet, so both of us worked 40-hour weeks for a combined weekly income of $260 a week. We felt like we really had it made back then, a year later we had our 1st kid and all that changed. A year after that, '73, was the 1st oil embargo and that started the game changer.

Sorry, man. Your memory is a mile off. I'm curious about why you think that 1969 gas prices have to do with a movie made in the 80s?

View attachment 1552414

Die Hard was released in 1988. Gas prices were 96 cents on average so there isn't much chance of it being 25% of that price anywhere, especially in California.
Hello, KD....
Check out this link:

I also remember Santa Rosa being in a
gas price war back then as the price
varied between name brands.

I only brought this up as the OP
seemed to be really surprised with gas
@ .77/gal.

For some reason, STMP seemed to mention gas prices from 1969-70, over 18 years before this movie came out.
Here is a screen shot from the site posted above including 1970 and 1988.

01 sagg.png

Last edited:
1971, I remember 25c a gallon gas and 2 qt. size Pepsi bottles for free on fill-up. Other stations had green stamps. I did not particularly think 25c was cheap, but I love Pepsi cola. I drove a '71 Fury II for the company and my wife drove a '70 corolla. $3 to fill up Toyota which we were getting 40+ mpg on the HI way.
We didn't have any kids yet, so both of us worked 40-hour weeks for a combined weekly income of $260 a week. We felt like we really had it made back then, a year later we had our 1st kid and all that changed. A year after that, '73, was the 1st oil embargo and that started the game changer.
I remember the S&H green stamps, Blue
Chip stamps, and free dishes (plates,
cups, and glasses) given away with a
fill up.
Attendants would check your oil, tire
pressures, and wash the windshield.

Last edited:
I only brought this up as the OP
seemed to be really surprised with gas
@ .77/gal.
Hardly....
I posted because "Humor"....

I fail to see what your 1969-1970 Santa Rosa, California fuel prices have to do with a movie that was released in 1988....

Somehow you & Ray are attaching an early 70's time frame to this... That's not the case... 1988....

Hardly....
I posted because "Humor"....

I fail to see what your 1969-1970 Santa Rosa, California fuel prices have to do with a movie that was released in 1988....

Somehow you & Ray are attaching an early 70's time frame to this... That's not the case... 1988....
Well, the vid seems to barrel it's main
point at gas being .77/gal "IN
CALIFORNIA!!"

Never Mind....
Your point of the post was understood.
I noticed the gas price posted in the
vid when I first saw the movie. Like
KD, I catch myself looking for posted
gas prices if for nothing more than
to verify a movies authenticity given
the time period.
What amazes me is when a present
day movie is filmed in past tense
with all of that eras time aspects.
Cars, buildings, manner of dress, etc.

View attachment 1552419

Sure.
How about this:

Question:
I have a 1988 Dodge truck with a 360. The compression ratio is 8.2 to one. Does anyone know what the best gasoline is to use?
Strange and unrelated answer:
Your compression ratio is too low. My 1969 Dodge truck is rated at 10.5 to one.
I'm sure my 'ol man's Olds was up there
on it's compression ratio. He simply
did not care what grade of gas he
chose to feed that motor with. The
car was his "pickup". The trunk loaded
with tools of a drywall hangers trade.
1959 to 1970...11 years. A car
considered to be old back then. Most
were traded in before they reached
that age.

Last edited:
KD.....I think we've been subtlety
warned....:rofl:
My dad, long passed, always said
I was a stubborn hard head, and that
I would waste my efforts arguing
my point with a fence post.
(not in the least saying you're a
fence post).
Since joining this site I've learned
to recognize those that are respected
here. You're one of them. I would
not intentionally go against that
grain.
Thanks, Kiwi....

Last edited:
I would think it was the late 60's when my parents would look for the cheapest gas price. I remember driving past stations and going back to the lowest, 13.9 then 14.9, 17.9 and my parents complaining when it hit 19.9. I also saw a movie with Lee Remick about the TVA and the main male character got 10 gallons of gas $1.80.

In 1978 when gas reached 75 cents, I bought a motorcycle for my daily nice weather driver instead of using my 68 Hemi Charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back