• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something from the movie "Die Hard" that everybody missed...

In 1978 when gas reached 75 cents, I bought a motorcycle for my daily nice weather driver instead of using my 68 Hemi Charger.
In the fall of '79 I made a similar move, parked the 1970 GTX, and bought a new Mazda B2000 four cylinder pickup truck for my daily driver. I remember in the late 60s, gas went to over 30 cents a gallon in our land locked community, and my parents had a fit, even though they were driving slant six Valiants.

Hardly....
I posted because "Humor"....

I fail to see what your 1969-1970 Santa Rosa, California fuel prices have to do with a movie that was released in 1988....

Somehow you & Ray are attaching an early 70's time frame to this... That's not the case... 1988....
I know where you were going with this.
.77 cents when the average price in
1988 (as KD posted) was .96 cents.
My response was to the video, itself,
as the video commentator sounded
really surprised that Californis gas
prices could ever be as low as .77
cents a gallon, and my original
assumption was you were surprised
as well.
To get this post back on track, and to
agree that certain aspects of films are
commonly missed by its' viewers,
in 1959, High Noon (Gary Cooper), is
the only movie produced that is filmed
in real time.
My apologies for any ruffled feathers.

Last edited:
Back in the early 90's gas wars were going on here with large new chains moving in next to established stations with the main goal of putting them out of business... I would go up every weekend and fill up for $25-30... Those were the days now look just got fuel oil at $4.05 gallon

Back in the early 90's gas wars were going on here with large new chains moving in next to established stations with the main goal of putting them out of business... I would go up every weekend and fill up for $25-30... Those were the days now look just got fuel oil at $4.05 gallon
Same thing was going on when I was living in northwest Indiana during that period, and driving my '62 Imperial as a daily driver. One chain featured 99 cent a gallon for all grades on Wednesdays. I'd leave for the office at 6am to beat the lines, and even if I was running on fumes, I could still get a fill up for under $20, with 93 octane.

Wasn't one of the Die Hard movies where he's in California making a call from a phone booth marked Atlantic Bell?

More importantly ....

1. Anyone ever counted how many rounds Arnold Schwarzenegger fires off from each weapon in any of his movies?
2. Anyone got an accurate count as to how many gears Steve McQueen's Mustang had in the movie Bullitt?
3. Did anyone notice that sometimes the Dukes of Hazzard good ole boys drove different model Chargers? :p
Those Duke boy, well, they would get themselves in a heap of chases. And Jumps. Stands to reason they had a barn full of body panels to replace all the dented and wrinkled up evidence of their shinanigans.

See? Not so hard to justify those little bloopers :)

Chassis like a banana immediately after a jump, then seconds later not a single scratch.......yeah right. :rofl:
That's why we loved it as kids.

The only important thing to remember from the Die Hard movie is:

"Now I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho".

One of my favorite scenes in the movie, that and the quick flash of Arguile partying in the limo by himself! Both made me laugh.
"Now I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho".
I couldn't watch any of the sequels. Almost walked out of DieHard 2 after they uncovered the airport power/comm conductors "buried" under a few inches of dirt (no conduits) .... ridiculous.

Hmmm….
I took these today.

2432B9F6-C74A-440C-A722-62CFF43ACF00.jpeg
56705816-A857-41A2-85DC-F5FDDB10210E.jpeg

In 1978 when gas reached 75 cents, I bought a motorcycle for my daily nice weather driver instead of using my 68 Hemi Charger.
yeah my DD was a 68 Charger R/T
with a built 12:1 440 0.60" over
2" Hooker Super Comp Headers, purple hornies
Stamerjohn Racing ported 906s, bigger titanium intakes
727TF w/B&M shift kit, 3200-3500 stall, Super Holeshot B&M converter
0.600" gross valvelift 302* duration, solid Lunati camshaft
2 Holley 4bbls 660cfm center squirters,
with all 4 bbls of each opening the same time/tunnel-ram carbs
on an inline alum manifold Offy (IIRC) with a functional
Grump Jenkins P/S hood scoop molded to the hood
4.56:1 to anything as high as numerically as 5.13:1 rear gears/sure grip
N50/15 rear tires on Cragers of course, that was a great driver,
pass everything except a gas station...
Back then I didn't care, as long as it was fast & sort of loud
it was probably only 500-550ish HP, I thought it was cool as hell...
I was either working at Union Ice Delivery a few miles away
or PG&E at the Antioch or Pittsburg power plants, IBEW Union crap
either 10 to about 15 miles away...
Making like $6.15 an hr, wahoo :bananadance:
I spent probably $100 a week in fuel almost 1/2 my weekly take-home pay...
"The Good stuff", Union 76 101 octane Eythl...
I don't remember exactly how much a gallon...

I was heartless Bart, by my neighbors
when I'd fire that thing up in cold weather
no choke of course... blurping the throttle to keep it going till it warmed up...
My neighbors still liked me, even too :poke:

Then the Walnut Creek cruises Friday & Sat. nights street races Eygnatio Vally Rd
or Encino Grande parking lot, bench racing...
I did the motorcycle/s thing too...

Auto Transport Service
Back