• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something you Remember... but Why ?

I still have dreams about standing in front of my locker either naked or in my tightie whities trying to remember my combination! I am told it means that for whatever reason my life is out of my control.
No pictures please

I am not sure the old Senior locker is still there. They have totally rebuilt the school. Torn down most of the old and built a lot of new. I think maybe the Sophomore locker might. To make it work, though, we would need to gather up everybody that would have been next to me! Then there's which class change? The one from one corner of the school to the other for the last class of the day?

Yeah, 6 foot and 1/2 inch and 130 pounds, not a pretty sight!

Oh, Now? 5 foot, 10 1/2 inches and 190 pounds and yes I've lost 2 inches but above the waist! STILL, not a pretty sight!

I can remember my grandparents phone number I was taught when I was very young for emergencies.
Unfortunately I can also remember my college girlfriends phone number from 1982.
But I walk back to my shop here at work and forget what tool I need lol

Permanent odd memories are markers that God leaves to remind everyone that time is limited. Get er dun!

After owning seven GTXs over five decades, I can recite the VIN numbers of all but the daily driver, and the project car that never got finished. The others were rewards that came to me when things went exceptionally well. Positive reinforcement seems to help with imprinting. Mopars in my life before age 18 all fall into this category.

I've been pondering this myself lately. When I have a memory or feeling associated with it, it is much more likely to retain such detail for recollection at a later time. Found this true with smells, tastes, music...
This is very much true. Ones' olfactory nerves (sense of smell) are the strongest triggers of memories in humans,
least as scientists have "proven" - the aural (sense of hearing) is 2nd to that and is a strong trigger of memories
as well.

I agree with that in my life - sense of smell (in my specific case, the strongly-associated sense of taste with it) is a powerful
memory trigger for me and a reason I get into learning how to cook specific things.
These specific items I'm trying to replicate are long-lost foods and tastes from my childhood - stuff mama used to make
or a burger a now-defunct restaurant chain used to make, for example - and the sense of smell first tells me when I'm
getting close to nailing it.

With me, it typically takes such a "trigger" for me to remember something from long ago - but I'm always delightfully
surprised when I do! :thumbsup:

I've had certain smells/odors set off a memory and hurtle me back to that moment in time.

I've had certain smells/odors set off a memory and hurtle me back to that moment in time.
Couldn’t agree more. Certain smells catapult me back decades. To a moment, a place, or a person…

I am exactly the opposite. I just finished seven weeks of IV Antibiotics that left a taste in my mouth I can't get rid of. I eat a food and my tongue changes that taste and then I can't stand that food again. I eat a bratwurst and then I never want another brat again. I am running out of food to eat. The only exception is spicy hot curry or hot wings. The doctors are friggin clueless. I have lost every favorite food that I have ever had. It is the same with the smell.

I learned and still remember my driver's license number very early on as I was fighting to keep it for awhile very early on lol. Also learned the casting numbers of 3 different 8 3/4 cases but can't remember the bearing numbers for them.....but don't know why I remember what the case numbers are. Probably because I was always hunting them 30 years ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back