• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Son of a Gun!

Do you use the 440 or 400 rods?
I used the 6.358/400 rods...............
400-450 004.JPG

Polished the beams just to reduce the weight and added ARP rod bolts............they will be resized by Performance Machine in Idaho Falls.......the same people who will grind the crank...........

400-450 011.JPG

I used the shorter 400 rods simply because I could buy pistons for those at a lower cost...........

400-450 008.JPG

Yeap, Kb251, made to cut at custom height the quench pad. Hence the reason to the lower cost, assuming you will need to spend the money for the cut.

Jim may I ask why the .125 reduction on the counter weights? Inquiring minds want to know.

I am really interested on how this works out in cost and performance vs buying a stroker kit.

Thanks Jim, is Cody getting ready for hunting season?

I am really interested on how this works out in cost and performance vs buying a stroker kit.
Right now I can tell you.......save your money and buy the stroker kit. The only way we can do this is we're kinda backyard mechanics... only......not your average backyard mechanics. Dad used to build engines in NASCAR.

Thanks Jim, is Cody getting ready for hunting season?
Spent the last month with the bow hunting elk. Many great stories but never quite close enough with the recurve bow. Rifle season for deer in a week or so.

Right now I can tell you.......save your money and buy the stroker kit. The only way we can do this is we're kinda backyard mechanics... only......not your average backyard mechanics. Dad used to build engines in NASCAR.
Thanks very much.

I'd say if you have the crank in hands ( which I guess this is the case ) make the job is cost effective. I Made the same with my 400. Of course living in Venezuela and having the 440 crank in hands also saved me on shipping just needing the pistons.

Wow! Who did the steel work on the skull and antlers? It's beautiful.
Our cylinder head porter, my son Cody..................

Skulls of Steel 038.JPG

A full size bull elk rising from his bed, made entirely from exhaust tubing........................
Skulls of Steel 008.JPG

Maybe a Dall sheep where the customer only found one side?

Dall sheep and ss mule deer 006.JPG

Taking the .010" under main and standard rod journal forged 440 crank and turning down the counter weights .120" in radius.

With the mains cut to 400 size and the .030" over bore we'll have 450ci.

View attachment 1010064
That’s not a bad job on a stock crank but some of those chromoly cranks put up a fight!!

That’s not a bad job on a stock crank but some of those chromoly cranks put up a fight!!
Speaking of putting up a fight. My crankshaft grinder and his wife, both in their mid 70's, caught the kung-flu. Made another welfare phone call yesterday to see how they were doing. They both beat it. She was answering the shop phone and he was grinding on my crankshaft.

Speaking of putting up a fight. My crankshaft grinder and his wife, both in their mid 70's, caught the kung-flu. Made another welfare phone call yesterday to see how they were doing. They both beat it. She was answering the shop phone and he was grinding on my crankshaft.
Gee....all the ones that I knew that had shops are either retired or gone....most are gone on to a better place than earth and the only guy that I know that's older than me and still working moved about 250 miles away. His shop used to be a dump here but he did good work and now his new place is really nice...and still does good work. The only shop that's still near me is a Chevy shop and the owner died of a heart attack sitting at his desk a few years ago. His machinist now runs the place for the owners widow. I'm glad to hear that your grinder and his wife beat this mess!

My crank grinder is a comedian I guess.

"I've been checking out the crank you set me," he says. "Do you want the crank register .003" out or the main seal surface .006" out in relation to the main journals?"

"How about I prep and send you a different crankshaft?" I ask.

"Good idea!" is his response. Says, "I see this a lot in Chevies but this is the first Chrysler crank I've found this way."

Lucky me...........good thing I've got a stash of them.

My crank grinder is a comedian I guess.

"I've been checking out the crank you set me," he says. "Do you want the crank register .003" out or the main seal surface .006" out in relation to the main journals?"

"How about I prep and send you a different crankshaft?" I ask.

"Good idea!" is his response. Says, "I see this a lot in Chevies but this is the first Chrysler crank I've found this way."

Lucky me...........good thing I've got a stash of them.
Got a few myself that probably needs to go on down the line.....

Auto Transport Service
Back