• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

South Korea's F-4 Phantoms Final Flight. For All Us Military Aircraft Enthusiasts.

hemi71x

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score

Found this on the You Tube internet.
I'm an old Air Force crew chief, aircraft mechanic, on the RF-4C models, during my years at the Zweibrucken, Germany, US Air Force Base back in 1974-76.
One day, walking out on the flight line, i was told Chief Saint needs to see you in the line shack office.
69-370 is coming in, this afternoon, and it's yours.
Lots of responsibility for a 21 year old kid, back in the dinosaur days.
For all us military, and civilian aircraft enthusiasts, out there.

Last edited:
Is that a current video - just now being retired? I was always a fan of the F4 growing up in the Viet Nam years and seeing news clips of them being launched for missions. But the biggest impression was seeing a National Guard F4 at a Little Rock AfB air show in the 80s. He came streaking down the length of the flight line at a low altitude of 100’ or so and then stood it on it’s tail and lit the afterburner and took off vertical or near vertical until out of sight. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Is that a current video - just now being retired? It’s always a fan of the F4 growing up in the Viet Nam years and seeing news clips of them being launched for missions. But the biggest impression was seeing a National Guard F4 at a Little Rock AfB air show in the 80s. He came streaking down the length of the flight line at a low altitude of 100’ or so and then stood it on it’s tail and lit the afterburner and took off vertical or near vertical until out of sight. Very impressive.
It's a current video.
They were scheduled for deactivation from service, in 2024, from what i have previously read.

Any other "Phantom Phixers" out there on this forum?
What was your specialty on those Phantoms?
USAF, Navy, Marines.

Last edited:
Always loved the F-4. It all started one Christmas in the 1960's when Santa Claus (maybe it was my parents?) gave me a battery powered F-4 model. It was suspended from the ceiling and a small prop in the rear pushed it 'round & 'round & 'round. It was a great toy.

Then, my Dad took me to Transpo 1972 held at Dulles International airport and the USAF Thunderbirds were using the F-4. An absolutely glorious air show. Thunder indeed!

In the 1980's I worked at Air Force Plant #4 in Fort Worth, Texas and we shared the runway with Carswell AFB. I saw all sorts of aircraft there of course, but the F-4 was a favorite. I used to park near the north end of the runway and walk about 10 minutes to reach the main plant. One morning I couldn't help noticing a large congregation of F-4, KC-135, and B-52 getting ready to take off into the wild blue yonder. The F-4 birds were first, taking off in pairs side-by-side in full afterburner of course! The first two were barely down the runway when the next two F-14 turned quickly onto the runway and took off side-by-side (maybe slightly staggered, but not by much!). Again, again, and again. I counted eight pairs of F-4 birds taking off and then it was time for the KC-135 show! I counted at least four takeoff one after the other. I think they were still using water injection back then. They too were a glorious site to see. Next up...the B-52's followed one another. I recall at least six and they were all beautiful and glorious.

It was a glorious way to start the day!

I inhaled a lot of exhaust that morning!

My first base (Moody AFB in GA) was an F4 base. Then I PCSed to Kunsan in 1980, where they were flying F4s too. Six months in, we transitioned to F16s. The ROKAF was flying F86s at the time. Talk about antiques!

Watching the aerial video of South Korea made me feel that their nation has grown into modernity very well. Hooray for them! I loved the South Koreans that I knew when there.

Among many other things, WPAFB, where I grew up had a strong F4 /RF4 presence in the 1980's.
I saw them overhead almost daily.
Last of the "fly by wire" (cable) IIRC.

I watched the Blue Angels fly them back in the 70’s. Damn they were loud!

The venerable F-4!!! Proof that if you put a large enough engine in a Brick will fly!!! About the only ones that are left are I believe, are Iranian and they are not very airworthy because there ain't any parts left to keep them airborne...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Last edited:
Yup, full afterburner takeoffs at DaNang Air Base in ‘71. Watched at dusk from a mile away at the ammo dump. They didn’t stay on the runway very long!! Love those and the old Corsairs.

When Zweibrucken Air Base in Germany, closed down back in 1991, the Phantoms were reassigned, to Bergstrom Air Base in Texas.
They stayed there until the Air Force deactivated all the Phantoms out of service.
Went into the aircraft bone yard in Arizona, where it stayed for a couple of years.
I somehow found out they took it out of storage, and turned it into a drone.
The reason being, they shot it down, for missile practice, over the Atlantic ocean, on the west side of Florida.
Now it litters the Atlantic ocean floor in a million pieces.
What an ending for an aircraft that i maintained, during my Air Force years.

What it looked like in the Arizona grave yard.

69-370-1 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
When Zweibrucken Air Base in Germany, closed down back in 1991, the Phantoms were reassigned, to Bergstrom Air Base in Texas.
They stayed there until the Air Force deactivated all the Phantoms out of service.
Went into the aircraft bone yard in Arizona, where it stayed for a couple of years.
I somehow found out they took it out of storage, and turned it into a drone.
The reason being, they shot it down, for missile practice, over the Atlantic ocean, on the west side of Florida.
Now it litters the Atlantic ocean floor in a million pieces.
What an ending for an aircraft that i maintained, during my Air Force years.

Do you SCUBA?

You could go look for a piece.

The first time I saw the Blue Angels, they were in F4's.

Thunderbirds in T-38's.

Maybe a brick but if I remember right they held a number of speed records in the early 60s for some time and one did a zoom climb to over 98,000 ft.

Even have some Phantom's on the rear of my car.
And a personalized licence plate frame.
It's my "driver" so don't hold it against me. lol

Phantoms On Car 001 (Small).JPG

How about the F-4 boundary layer control system? It sounded pretty wild!

Auto Transport Service
Back