• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer Cables

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
I've finally road tested my '63, and it's going to be quite a car. We completely replaced the drivetrain, and it now had a '65 P/B slip yoke in it. The speedo was not working on the maiden voyage, both ends secure. Will a '63 cable, work in a '65 transmission ? Not gonna stop me from driving, but this thing could be a "Ticket Machine" !!! Any input appreciated, Thanks...
0820231650b.jpg
0801231717.jpg

you could take it loose at the transmission and spin the cable counter clock-wise with your fingers. After confirming that is the correct direction, spin it with a drill. If it works, you've eliminated 2 out 3 issues. If you have another cable, hook it to the trans, jack it up and run it to see what you see.

Sam, the cable worked fine, when it was an original slant 6. I cleaned, refinished, and lubed the original. Next chance I have, I'll disconnect it from the dash, and check for rotation, before I get unto the trans end. Less mess that way. I'm hoping the Trans builder, put a gear in it, it's been sitting for years...

put a gear in it,
Hope so. Only way to find out is open it up.
If you do dis connect at the speedo head try turning the cable. If it spins free,good chance the gear (if there)is not in contact with the output shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back