• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer "zeroed" at 60 mph, pegs to the right when driving

Steven Fogel

Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 68 Dodge Coronet 500, 383, automatic. At rest, the speedometer is at 60 mph, then moves to the extreme right when driving. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed? Thx !

Hi, I have a 68 Dodge Coronet 500, 383, automatic. At rest, the speedometer is at 60 mph, then moves to the extreme right when driving. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed? Thx !
Like this?
20210129_153839.jpg

I found nothing to do but replace it. It started out sticking at 30, then 50, and moved on up until I pulled the cluster and replaced it. It was definitely in the speedometer itself, everything else worked smoothly. I guess it could be fixed by someone, but I'm guessing it's more than I'm willing to pay as I had a spare cluster.

Mine did the same. There is a small golden return spring that either got tangled or unwound.

Correct. My '66 Coronet 500 speedo was stuck at 80 for a long time, then one day, it dropped to zero and has remained there. I intend to remove the cluster this Winter and have that fixed. The odometer continues to work properly, plus I have GPS on my phone to gauge speed.

speedometer.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back