• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SRT8 Roadrunner conversion, NOT a body over!!

Thanks again! Finished shooting the liner. Ready to start putting it together, for the last time!!!

Wow, that is looking amazing. Look forward to seeing it come together.

SICK Bro!! Gonna be soooo bad ***! I drive my retro build and a 2013 Charger Daytona. I love both of them individually, I cannot imagine having BOTH of them in the SAME car!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a hint...I learned the hard way, see if you can bench check the A/C system with a charge or at least charge it BEFORE you put the windshield back in. Mine leaked like a sieve when I went to charge the system. I have no idea what went wrong because I did nothing to it after removing it from the donor car. Now I have to take the windshield out and remove everything to change it out.

SICK Bro!! Gonna be soooo bad ***! I drive my retro build and a 2013 Charger Daytona. I love both of them individually, I cannot imagine having BOTH of them in the SAME car!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a hint...I learned the hard way, see if you can bench check the A/C system with a charge or at least charge it BEFORE you put the windshield back in. Mine leaked like a sieve when I went to charge the system. I have no idea what went wrong because I did nothing to it after removing it from the donor car. Now I have to take the windshield out and remove everything to change it out.

Thanks Darius. I built this one so the dash comes out and is accessible like an LX car. No need to pull the windshield to work on anything!! Remember, I've been a Chrysler tech for 26 years and my shop works on nothing but late model Mopars. I don't build ANYTHING without first considering accessibility to repair. I've cussed more than one Chrysler engineer for designing stuff that makes diagnosis or repair damn near impossible. I swore I'd never do that. The upside, is all the wiring and computers is actually the easiest part for me. I work on these everyday, so the part that most dread, I'm actually looking forward to, as it is the easiest for me.

Thanks guys. The bottom. A little "sky dry" for the next few days. Yes, I'm in Florida!!

Remember, I've been a Chrysler tech for 26 years and my shop works on nothing but late model Mopars. I don't build ANYTHING without first considering accessibility to repair. I've cussed more than one Chrysler engineer for designing stuff that makes diagnosis or repair damn near impossible.
The upside, is all the wiring and computers is actually the easiest part for me. I work on these everyday, so the part that most dread, I'm actually looking forward to, as it is the easiest for me.

Sorry and thanks for your service.. FCA drove me away from retail!!

I worked on Jaguars in the late 80's and 90's.. I feel your pain.. Nothing like having to take the whole inside of a car apart to change a heater core or the rear end out for rear rotors.

But fantastic job...

Ah !!! A man with a plan and a vision, Super nice ,sure we're all gonna see it in all the mopar mags

Ah !!! A man with a plan and a vision, Super nice ,sure we're all gonna see it in all the mopar mags

I really doubt it. It's been done and featured before. You will see it driving and at Mopar shows. My customer does go to a few of those.

Okay guys, no pics, but an update FYI.

When I started this car, I had a plan to make all pieces be serviceable with OEM parts, so even the dealer could work on it. The RR is 116" wheelbase. The LX Charger is 120". I shortened the LX platform to 116", which is also what the new LC Challengers are. So the fuel and brake lines that run to the rear and driveshaft would come from a new Challenger. Lines, no problem. Driveshaft, problem. So, Chrysler switched rear diff suppliers in 2009 for all LC/LX platform cars to Getrag units. They are stronger, have LSD, etc., but they require a different driveshaft. If you own a 2005-2008 LX car, and need a driveshaft, it supersedes to a new differential and driveshaft. If you need a half shaft, you get the driveshaft and diff free, because your buying it all! The 2008 Challenger is a one year only car with an auto and the older LX platform. Finding a used driveshaft has been impossible. To make the car serviceable, I've had to get the updated diff, half shafts, and driveshaft for the 2009-2015 cars. I should have these next week and then I'll post up some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, a few pics:

Great build, you have some true talent for sure...

keep it up, it's looking bad ***...

good luck & happy Moparing

This gives a whole new meaning to modernizing a classic car, excellent job!

This work is truly impressive. The car looks like it rolled off an 2008 assembly line with 1970 styling. I love it. I would really like to see the faces at the dealership if he ever rolls into one for service!!

Hey Craig,
Are you actually able to mask off the underbody and engine bay well enough to not get any overspray at all during outer body topcoat? If so, I'd love to know how. I've always had crappy luck even with what I thought was a good mask job. The fine mist of either paint or clear seems to find any opening and leave a sugar coat just where I do not want it. I've taken to painting outer body first, then door jambs, trunk and engine bay. The outer body is masked off with plastic beforehand. Any mist or overspray gets taken off during color sanding.
I'm certainly open to other methods!

Thanks guys!

As far as masking, we usually "bag" the entire car and then cut open and mask the areas we want to paint. In this case, the outer shell. So you'll spend 3-4 hours taping and 20 minutes painting!! Wonderful world of paint and body!

Auto Transport Service
Back