• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Started my leaf spring install........

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
I started my MP XHD leaf spring install today, and it was more challenging than I thought getting the springs off. I recently put new Bilstein shocks on and the rubber bushing must still be nice and sticky because that was a PIA just getting the shock bottom off. To hell with that, so I took the top off and finally got the bottom after using a pry bar and wiggling it. Just wouldn't budge. The U-bolts were next. I've got the rear frame rails resting on jack stands, and the Dana pumpkin sitting on a jack with the tires off the ground. Loosened the U-bolts loose and got 3 off, and as soon as I got the 4th bolt off, BAMM, the spring sprung open and crap went flying everywhere, and the Dana pumpkin just about slipped off the jack (but luckily I left the tires on and if she would have fell, it wouldn't have been far). After that I put a jack stand under the axle side I was working and put the jack under the spring to take some tension off as I got the rear shackle off. None of the Mopar magazine articles discussed this issue, and in the other leaf spring discussions here, it wasn't mentioned. Did I perhaps have the rear axle lifted too high so the leaf inevitably would rebound more?

Not sure if it was my procedure, but for others, read the Service Manual. It states the springs should be hanging down with axle slightly supported so that the springs don't fully snap and rebound once the U-bolts are taken off.

But here's a couple pictures of the tired leafs compared to the new MP ones, and one of the front hanger bolts was actually missing. Glad I got the new AR Engineering ones.

IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1327.JPG

Last edited:
I believe you don't want to load the spring. In other words it's hanging without any lift on the diff when you remove the u bolts.

Did you clean your pants? Yes,it’s happened more than to all of us at times, shaking your head and saying “you dummy”. AND thinking,thank god.

That is the reason no one posts about the spring tension. It's kinda like a, Right of Passage. Welcome Grasshopper.

The jack under the rear is just for safety and no load applied......Once the U bolts are removed than you can jack the rear up a bit to release the perches.....

What broke on yours was the center bolt. Apparently, age and stress did a number on that bolt and the same goes to the straps....

Your lucky and be thankful.....That could have been a bad situation....

As mobster said above.....No one posts the obvious.....lesson learned my friend and thankful you and the car got unscathed...

everybody remember safety first. we all learn some hard knocks but you can't enjoy your ride if you are in the hospital. thank god your o.k. next time someone post needs springs you can be the first to let them know not what to do.

Yea, now that I've had time to think about it, makes sense, should have had the springs stretched out instead of compressed.. I forgot to be smarter than what I was working on. :(

Here's a few more pics of the car before with its saggy bum, along with a measurement of current height, work in process pics and re-arched MP springs on their side.

IMG_1322.JPG IMG_1324.JPG IMG_1343.JPG IMG_1344.JPG

everybody remember safety first. we all learn some hard knocks but you can't enjoy your ride if you are in the hospital. thank god your o.k. next time someone post needs springs you can be the first to let them know not what to do.
How about downloading a "free" copy of the service manual...Which states perfectly on how to accomplish this task.....

I do not understand and see it time and time again that most of the guys don't refer to the service manuals......Especially, when one can get it for free......

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Yea, now that I've had time to think about it, makes sense, should have had the springs stretched out instead of compressed.. I forgot to be smarter than what I was working on. :(

Here's a few more pics of the car before with its saggy bum, along with a measurement of current height, work in process pics and re-arched MP springs on their side.

View attachment 675410 View attachment 675411 View attachment 675412 View attachment 675413
Man a 69 black bee with scoops....Badazz car my friend:thumbsup:

I have a hard copy of the service manual. Yep, step #3 in the removal process. My dumb.

How about downloading a "free" copy of the service manual...Which states perfectly on how to accomplish this task.....

I do not understand and see it time and time again that most of the guys don't refer to the service manuals......Especially, when one can get it for free......

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

U-bolt nut torque spec is 45 ft/lbs so don't just hammer them on. :)

Beautiful car by the way!

+1 all the above. Reminds me when soon after starting work on semi-trucks. Co-worker said “don’t try to stop/catch anything when it starts moving.” Sometimes you can do it with car parts, never with semi’s.

SOB this spring install!!! So I got the leaf spring on the front hanger and front hanger installed on car. Hung the rear shackle, and now, F**K, how the hell do you get the spring up to get it mounted on the shackle? What a PIA laying on the garage floor by myself trying to hold the spring up, and push it over so it slides on the shackle.

Any words of wisdom for grasshopper?

I read the factory service manual and my Chilton manual. I believe install is reverse of removing. The rear shackle install followed by the front.
Mentions mechanic shoulder to support springs.

Are you doing this with a jack under the rear end and both springs mounted to the rear axle housing? Should be able to lift the rear end up into position and slide the shackles into the mounts. I did mine with the shackles completely removed so they slide into the frame mount and spring mount at the same time.

How I did mine, working off the floor. Jackstands under the rear frame, forward of the rear axle. Rear axle 'loosely' on both springs, floor jack under center of axle. Move the mess under the car, and attach front spring hangers into place. Should leave rear shackles off, for now...just in the way.
Assuming your this far along, including axle mounted loose. Want it loose, so once everything is in place, then it gets torqued.

Front hangers w/springs in place, should be simply jacking up the rear axle, until rear of springs are up, about in place. Mount the rear shackles.

Hope this helps!

How I did mine, working off the floor. Jackstands under the rear frame, forward of the rear axle. Rear axle 'loosely' on both springs, floor jack under center of axle. Move the mess under the car, and attach front spring hangers into place. Should leave rear shackles off, for now...just in the way.
Assuming your this far along, including axle mounted loose. Want it loose, so once everything is in place, then it gets torqued.

Front hangers w/springs in place, should be simply jacking up the rear axle, until rear of springs are up, about in place. Mount the rear shackles.

Hope this helps!

That's pretty much the procedure I used on mine except I had probably snugged up the U-bolts already. I did have to do a lot of shoving and prying to get the shackle bolts through the spring bushings to where I could get the nut on the bolt.

Yep. If things are tightened too much, makes it a little harder to stab studs into the holes.
I just bottomed my fasteners, so the parts have a little 'play', much easier to deal with. Oh! A couple cuss words don't hurt either!

Auto Transport Service
Back