• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering coupler rebuild

VFilms

Local time
7:59 PM
Reaction score
I've been in contact with James Fillmore of Detroit Muscle Technologies about rebuilding the steering coupler on my '66 Belvedere. I was told that the rebuild kits offered by various suppliers, DMT as well, do not apply to '66 B Bodies. Apparently '66 is different. It was suggested that I rebuild my original and just replace the seal and cover. Which is what I did. He was correct. The inner 'guts' are different than the 'expensive' rebuild kits. He also believed there would be little, if any, wear. Again, he was correct.
I cleaned the coupler housing and inner parts, repacked with grease and installed a new seal and cover which I purchased from them. Works great. Here is part of his email to me...
'I actually purchased some expensive, name brand micrometers and hole micrometers to measure a BUNCH of used coupler “guts” and they were all within a few TEN THOUSANDTHS of an inch. Basically within better than new tolerances. I was surprised.'

Interesting...
I did the front end on my Satellite and bought a kit from Steer and Gear to rebuild the coupler.
But it seemed pretty tight to me so I skipped that part of the project.
I know getting a new cover peened over the coupling is a tricky deal, how did that go?

Interesting...
I did the front end on my Satellite and bought a kit from Steer and Gear to rebuild the coupler.
But it seemed pretty tight to me so I skipped that part of the project.
I know getting a new cover peened over the coupling is a tricky deal, how did that go?
I tried it 2 ways. First using C clamps to hold the cover tight while tapping on the tabs with a punch. C clamps really had nothing to grip to so went not so well. Secondly, took BIG Channel Locks to secure the cover then a second pair to pinch over the tab. Worked much better.
Oh, and a little trick... bending the tabs over just ever so slightly before installing the cover works wonders in getting them to fit tightly.
Disclaimer: your results may vary.

James should have mentioned this cool item for the '66 and newer couplers.
GEN7376SC10_COUPLER_CLIP_SHORT_2000__88779.1560740717.jpg

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologi...steering-column-coupler-cover-clamp-retainer/

Auto Transport Service
Back