• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stripping paint

72satteldog

Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
after i strip her down to metal, what should i look to lay on the car before the body work starts. looks like i'll be using some type of airline stripping agent. probably need to give her a good power wash after that first. tanks again for all the input fellow mopar heads.:icon_compress:

Personally, I wouldn't use a paint stripper ( too much cleanup), but if you're dead set on using it, wash the panel(s) with Dawn and water afterwards. Dry it well and run a DA over it with 80 grit to give it some tooth. Wash it down with a quality wax and grease remover (NOT lacquer thinner) and lay two coats of epoxy on it. Then you can do your bodywork.

Last edited:
after i strip her down to metal, what should i look to lay on the car before the body work starts. looks like i'll be using some type of airline stripping agent. probably need to give her a good power wash after that first. tanks again for all the input fellow mopar heads.:icon_compress:

I use it without problem. Tape off seams and crevices. Wash of with soap water and red Scotch Brite. Then Scotch Brite and Metal Prep. If you keep it dry it'll stay rust free for months. You can always reprep right before Epoxy prime. Remember Epoxy needs to be scuffed if it sits over 48 hours. Here's some pics of Metal Preped panels tat sat for months.
Doug

Attachments

• B50.jpg
    B50.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 211
  • B94.jpg
    B94.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 239
  • B71.jpg
    B71.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 224
I was looking in to media blasting but what i'm reading, unless u live in texas and have access to donny, i'm not willing to risk it. i have no time issues so what the heck. appreciate the input.

- - - Updated - - -

looks good dvw. i think this is the route i'm going with, any type of epoxy u reccomend.

I was looking in to media blasting but what i'm reading, unless u live in texas and have access to donny, i'm not willing to risk it. i have no time issues so what the heck. appreciate the input.

- - - Updated - - -

looks good dvw. i think this is the route i'm going with, any type of epoxy u reccomend.
We use DP 50/90 depending on the color. Grey or black. I used black as we paint
ed the underside black on the last car. By the time you're going to paint the body the epoxy is long covered anyway so color really isn't an issue.
Doug

Depending on the car but I've used both stripper and media on a car. Use paint stripper on the big panels like the roof, quarters, ect. Used media on areas like jams, motor bay, ect. Best of both worlds.
Yes you need to be very careful about media on large smooth panels. He have a couple guys here that are like Donny and know their stuff.
A friend just blasted his 55 Chevy with sand. Told him not to do it but he had to learn the hard way. Pretty much doubled his body work.

Auto Transport Service
Back