• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stroker cam suggestion

ChargerST

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in need of a cam for my 505 stroker (TF 240 heads) and have narrowed it down to a solid flat tappet cam in the 245-250 @ .050 range (street car, 3.33 rear gears, 4-speed). Talked to Dwayne Porter and he suggested a straight pattern Comp Cams XTQ lobe (278 adv., 248 @.050, 160 @.200, .566 lift (I want to run 1.6 rockers) on a 110 or 111 LSA. Choice is based on low/mid range torque (street car), street manners and longevity.
Other suggestions were to run a tighter LSA of 108. Since I run power brakes and don't want too much smell at idle I thought about going slightly smaller if I run a tighter LSA and found the following lobe: FL276 (276 adv., 247 @.050, 161 @.200, .586 lift). This lobe is slightly more aggressive (29 vs. 30 degrees from advertised to .050 and 86 vs. 88 deg. from .050 to .200) but with a lower duration. If ground on a 108 LSA overlap is 60 degrees (vs. 58 with the first cam - 110 LSA).
Which of these two cams would you choose? Are the FL (Ford) lobes too aggressive for longevity and street duty?
Thanks

Hi,
I'm in need of a cam for my 505 stroker (TF 240 heads) and have narrowed it down to a solid flat tappet cam in the 245-250 @ .050 range (street car, 3.33 rear gears, 4-speed). Talked to Dwayne Porter and he suggested a straight pattern Comp Cams XTQ lobe (278 adv., 248 @.050, 160 @.200, .566 lift (I want to run 1.6 rockers) on a 110 or 111 LSA. Choice is based on low/mid range torque (street car), street manners and longevity.
Other suggestions were to run a tighter LSA of 108. Since I run power brakes and don't want too much smell at idle I thought about going slightly smaller if I run a tighter LSA and found the following lobe: FL276 (276 adv., 247 @.050, 161 @.200, .586 lift). This lobe is slightly more aggressive (29 vs. 30 degrees from advertised to .050 and 86 vs. 88 deg. from .050 to .200) but with a lower duration. If ground on a 108 LSA overlap is 60 degrees (vs. 58 with the first cam - 110 LSA).
Which of these two cams would you choose? Are the FL (Ford) lobes too aggressive for longevity and street duty?
Thanks
FABO -------

I called around the world and talked to one of the most highly respected cam designers on the planet to get a suggested cam grind. Now I think I'll double check with the guys on the forum?

I called around the world and talked to one of the most highly respected cam designers on the planet to get a suggested cam grind. Now I think I'll double check with the guys on the forum?

LOL !!! Happens all the time.

I received some feedback from other cam designers/grinders and they partly contradict themselves. I guess there are several ways to skin the cat.

Yes there are.

If you want to design your own cam, I say do it!

I design all the cams for the engines I build.

And I never design one for the engines I'm not personally building.

I lack the experience to design a cam on my own and that's why I highly appreciate your input! btw suggestions range from 238 to 255 duration, 108 to 112 LSA, and lift from .520 to .630 lol
The discussion really helps me (and maybe others as well) to understand the philosophy behind the suggestions. I am and was before I posted the thread 99% sure I'd go with Dwayne's choice anyways.

Oh, and Trick Flow heads, if you haven't already noticed...........check the guide clearance!

I use this forum basically every day. 2 things I’d never use it for are legal advice and cam suggestions.

I talked to Dwayne once or twice myself. If it were me, I’d give Dwayne my specs and patiently wait for what cam comes in the mail. The end.

IMHO
No not enough info
real usage
head flows
quench distance
real compression
do you have cranking compression with old cam
intake and exhaust
stroke and rod length
power brakes
big od tires
do you have dyno sheet with old cam?
LCA IS A RESULT NOT AN INPUT
dbl check your rear gear ratio did you really mean 3.23?

As said go with what Dwayne said. I have one of his custom solid flat tappet grinds in my 63 and its 264 & 270 @ .050 with .585 & .592 and a 110 LSA. The idle sounds nice as it has some choppyness in it as I told him I wanted a cam for street driving but I want to make good power and I like a choppy idle and he hit the nail on the head just perfect. I have it in my eng on a 106 ICL and I still use my power brakes. They work ok as they are not perfect but work ok. The only time I am careful is if I am on the brake pedal real long or am on and off it a few times as it takes a bit longer to build the vacuum but it will have enough vacuum for a good pedal on the first two hits of the brake pedal. Hey I have been a tech since 1974 and I know camshafts very well but I don't spec cam grinds for certain combo's everyday and then dyno test them and see how they work. Dwayne does that everyday and as said he is one of if not the best cam/cyl head guy out there and I would surely take his advice 100%. Good luck with it , Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back