• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic cam

Aron Gleason

Local time
12:29 AM
Reaction score
So I've been looking at the comp cams 251/[email protected] 564/564 lift with 110 lsa. To replace the mp 284 484 cam. What's everyone's thoughts? Would it be a nice rowdy lope?

Depends on the rest of the engine. And since there is no description of what it’s going into and how it’s built or it’s equipment it’s running, no one will have a clue.

67 coronet. 440 10.5 compression. Ported 906 heads m1 single plane intake, full manual valve body trans with a j converter and 4.57 gears. 28 inch tall tires. 3700 lbs without me.

Well it's one big hydraulic. About 10 or more degrees bigger than the 284.
Would be pretty surprised if it didn't have some snap crackle pop.

Well it's one big hydraulic. About 10 or more degrees bigger than the 284.
Would be pretty surprised if it didn't have some snap crackle pop.
I was told I should be able to put that cam in place of my 284 484 without issues?

You'll need to check guide boss/seal to retainer clearance and spring pressure for a start. No to being a bolt in in a stock engine.

Well seeing as how my motor is 10.5 compression with ported and polished 906 heads. M1 single plane intake, and all the other good stuff to make it a non stock motor. It's far from a stock motor.

No to being a bolt in in a stock engine.

I never said it was a stock motor.

non stock motor. It's far from a stock motor.
Sounds like it's not stock :lol: . Not that it changes a damn thing.

You pretty much would have to install it to check how much clearance you have.
Valve to piston
Retainer to seal/ guide.
Need valve springs. Will they fit.
Stamped steel rockers? Bit light duty for that cam
Etc

Is it true I'd lose low end torque with that cam? I thought with my converter and gears it would make up for it.

J-convertor and 4.57's should work just fine with a big stick like that.

That lift is a little tall for comfort with stock height valve guides.
Is 10.5 a measured value or a I bought these 10.5 pistons value? A measured value with no valve reliefs I would be checking valve to piston clearance for sure. If the pistons have valve reliefs it should be ok, but checking would not hurt, peace of mind and all.

That lift is a little tall for comfort with stock height valve guides.
Is 10.5 a measured value or a I bought these 10.5 pistons value? A measured value with no valve reliefs I would be checking valve to piston clearance for sure. If the pistons have valve reliefs it should be ok, but checking would not hurt, peace of mind and all.
Good information. That's what the machinist told me 30 years ago when the motor was built.

Try educating yourself on cam selection so that you can make an educated choice, not relying on 'Bill's cam picks'.
The correct LSA for a 440 cam with 906 heads is 104; not 110. Derived by using the 128 rule.
128 rule?
The best explanation of 128 is one I saw recently on a YT video. It was by Cattle Dog Garage & goes for 34 min [ sorry, I do not know how to link ]. That 34 min video will give you more cam knowledge than you have ever had. There is also a a longer 1hr + video, but the 34 min video is all you need. It confirms D. Vizard's 128 rule with PROVEN dyno tests comparisons.
You will not be able to get a 104 LSA cam for a 440, so you will need to compromise. 108 or 106.
I would use a single pattern cam such as the Isky 304 Mega [ 108 LSA ]. A much nicer street cam with better manners would be the 292 Mega. If you can find a grind from Hughes or Howards on 106, that would be better. DV has a good saying: the right cam cost the same as the wrong cam. Have your old lifters re-faced if do not want lobe/lifter failure.

Try educating yourself on cam selection so that you can make an educated choice, not relying on 'Bill's cam picks'.
The correct LSA for a 440 cam with 906 heads is 104; not 110. Derived by using the 128 rule.
128 rule?
The best explanation of 128 is one I saw recently on a YT video. It was by Cattle Dog Garage & goes for 34 min [ sorry, I do not know how to link ]. That 34 min video will give you more cam knowledge than you have ever had. There is also a a longer 1hr + video, but the 34 min video is all you need. It confirms D. Vizard's 128 rule with PROVEN dyno tests comparisons.
You will not be able to get a 104 LSA cam for a 440, so you will need to compromise. 108 or 106.
I would use a single pattern cam such as the Isky 304 Mega [ 108 LSA ]. A much nicer street cam with better manners would be the 292 Mega. If you can find a grind from Hughes or Howards on 106, that would be better. DV has a good saying: the right cam cost the same as the wrong cam. Have your old lifters re-faced if do not want lobe/lifter failure.
Good advice. I have heard of the 128 rule. I'll have to watch that video.

I was told I should be able to put that cam in place of my 284 484 without issues?

Who told you that? And, why then are you here asking us?

Without some details about the motor and heads, no one can answer your question.

What does the car run now (et and mph), and what is your track performance goal? What is your cranking cylinder pressure?

If you don’t know the answer to those questions, I would recommend the Big Mutha Thumper cam, stuff it in at 102* ICL, install new valve springs, and you’ll be good to go with a great idle lope.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back