• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Super pi**ed off

Adam Nathan

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
We're finally having a spell of decent weather here at last. So thought I'd get the car all cleaned and polished and head off to the local car meet. I like to keep a bit of distance between me and the car in front but a ****ing delivery van had other ideas and pulled right in front of me a generously decided to flick a stone into my windshield leaving me a lovely chip right in my view. I know sh*t like that can't be helped but how to ruin an evening in less than a second.
Lucky I didn't have the swear jar with me or it could have cost me a small fortune.
Hopefully it can be repaired and filled like the commercials on TV advertise.
Anyone had that glass injection repair stuff used on their cars? Is it any good? Or am I looking at a new screen?

Sorry to hear that, If its not too bad it can be fixed. Never fixed one myself tho.

Stuff like that rips on me too. Some people just caint stand to see a gap they can fit in without fittin into it.

Had that happen to me in Louisiana...rented a car and drove from Memphis to Olla,La and some rock hauler flipped a stone and cracked my windshield...about ruined my vacation because the crack was eye level and I worried for days what Alamo would do when I returned the car...Alamo was cool though and just wrote it off...sorry you had to go through this...Marla

Luckily it was only a rock and not a paving stone. I was driving on the highway with my 2yo daughter in the back seat, and a huge rock, 8 inches across, fell out of a truck in front and hit my windshield. Luckily it bounced off and left a nasty crack instead of shattering the screen and causing death and destruction. Insurance paid for the screen to be replaced.

If the scene had been recorded:

Rock hits truck windshield. CRACK!

Me: "Holy ****!"
2 year old: "Daddy! A rock hit our windshield!"
Me: "I KNOW! ******* it! What the hell?"
2yo: "Daddy! Why did a rock hit our windshield?"
Me: 'I DON'T KNOW! ARGH!"
2yo: (laughing) "What the hell! ******* it! Hee hee!"

Sorry that happened to you, though. Damn limey lorries! :)

been there.that sucks.even worse when its right in your line of sight

Yeah, you said it! Sucks big time. I have had a small chip repaired with the injection stuff and it's great. I say give it a shot.

i've had a couple of my work trucks fixed using the filler stuff. i would have a pro do it. and they will probably offer some sort of warranty as well...been a few years and they are all still there!

good luck!!

My Dakota is bright *** metallic orange and fairly loud.

I get people pulling out in front of me, and turning left in front of me ALL THE TIME.

You mean you really didn't see that bright orange truck barreling down towards you before you decided to try to make it at the last second????

i've had a couple of my work trucks fixed using the filler stuff. i would have a pro do it. and they will probably offer some sort of warranty as well...been a few years and they are all still there!

good luck!!

Definitely have a local professional auto glass shop do the fix on it. You are a lot more likely to have good results with them than some roadside/ parking lot fly by night outfit. Don't change the windshield unless you absolutely have to. Especially if it is the original.

Sorry to hear it........Had a Pontiac Bonneville that I had that done on professionally. -25F Below outside and heat blowing up from the defrost didn't get along to well. Ended up cracking that winter. Maybe it would put up with your more temperate climate over across the pond.

I hate it when that happens! The rule of thumb for doing these repairs is where on the glass hit hit, if it's right in the middle of where you look thru the windshield should be replaced as it's more of a distraction and most all places will say that. Otherwise if it looks like a bullseye the size of a quarter they can be repired without much scaring to see. Good Luck

Try living in Colorado where we use gravel instead of salt on the snow.
Safelite is the best chip replair.

We've had several chips fixed. Our insurance agent has sent different people over the years. The best ones were the "name brand" ones. We had a local guy get into doing it on the side, his jobs sucked. Looked bad, ended up cracking anyway. Since then I told our agent, I only want Novus.

Adam sorry to hear that, really sucks... I had a little rock chip in both my F350 & my Dakota fixed about 5 years ago now, still looks good, insurance covered it to... as long as it's only a chip & not a crack/fracture, only in the top layer too, then it can be injected/fixed/filled/buffed, that's what the glass repair guy told me...

Same thing happened to me last week. My in-laws gave their 2002 Avalon to my son. So to save $400 having it shipped, I flew down to Fla. from NJ and drove the car back. Flight + gas was about $300. On the drive home, a truck dropped a stone, hit the windshield and cracked it in the top passenger side. Talk about cursing up a storm. Gonna cost me $300 to replace. So I ended up saving a $100 for 2 1/2 days of flying and driving. I guess I shouldn't have laughed when a guy dropped his iPhone and shattered the screen when I stopped to get something to eat in North Carolina. Talk about instant karma !!!!! LOL

My Dakota is bright *** metallic orange and fairly loud.

I get people pulling out in front of me, and turning left in front of me ALL THE TIME.

You mean you really didn't see that bright orange truck barreling down towards you before you decided to try to make it at the last second????

Yeah, but you live in Florida. That's the way it is there.

I've had a couple chips repaired on my work truck at a local glass shop and you have to really look hard to find them now, One is just under my line of sight and I don't even notice it.
I feel for you, I don't know what I would do if that happened to my GTX's original glass, Hope it works out for you.

Thanks all. Well I've been in touch with my insurers and there sending the glass repair guy (auto glass) over to my garage on Thursday to attempt the repair with that resin stuff. Gonna cost me £10 or approx $15 to do that. If that stuff don't work or I'm not happy with the repair, worse case insurers are gonna charge £75 or approx $100 for a new screen. That's all I've got to pay anyway but I know it's gonna come to a heck of a lot more, plus it's got to be shipped over here. But hey that's not my problem. So if it comes to that may be calling on some of you guys to point me in the right direction of someone who can supply this glass new. Oh well guess it's all part of the fun.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back