• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superbird sales banned in Maryland?

And every day the tally goes up in Baltimore. A lot of SAFETY going on there........dumb asses:p

Quote from article:

"Also, the Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles banned the sale of the Superbird in that state. Maryland did not consider the front nose cone to be an actual bumper so it declared the car was in violation of the state’s safety laws."

https://horsepowermemories.com/2014/08/16/1970-plymouth-road-runner-superbird/
Someone should sue these asshats. It complied when it was manufactured and it was grandfathered afterward. Nothing more is necessary.

If you have ever seen the pictures of the purple 70 Charger Daytona from back in the day, the original owner had to put a pair of Corvette bumpers on the nosecone to get around that Maryland law . Supposedly the law changed in 1970 and none of the Superbirds would have passed the new national crash standards. That is why all of the Superbirds had to be built before January 1st of 1970.

Fall of '71 after graduating high school, I went to work at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer in Cumberland, Maryland. Worked in the body shop. A girl brought in her lime green Superbird. Oddly she was from W.Va. She had gotten s ticket for no front bumper and it was deemed she have one installed. The other guy on the project and not wanting to do anything outlandish, took two either stainless or aluminum(too long ago can't remember) tubes and used a conduit bender and bent them to conform with the front corners of the nose cone. All total about 24-30" long. I believe we used three of the smallest bolts we could find for each side, and spaced them evenly. Black caps on the ends. We took better than two days to get it right, cause we didn't like doing it in the first place. After it was finished it wasn't that bad. This way it could be removed easily and the small holes repaired. In hind sight, probably should have used a steel tube and painted it body color. I wish I had some pictures. W. Va. approved her bumper.

Sorry, WRONG Topic for that View...

I do remember very well Maryland banning the sale of Superbirds for no front bumper. But a few months later the ban was relaxed. That was when Chrysler decided to install that small rubber strip on the nose and it met the bumper requirement. I had a friend with a new green bird and he had no problem registering it in Maryland. There was also a used red bird for sale at Jordan's Auto sales in Laurel Md that sold in 1972 with no problem. I looked at that car several times. Just didn't have the money.
Some thing else to remember is rear bumpers on pick up trucks were an option back then, but if the truck was sold in a state that required rear bumpers (like Md) on pick ups the dealer had to order the truck with a bumper option or install a bumper at point of sale.

25660416_10209289049378279_1129718044222384077_n.jpg
26112135_10213904806629284_937308326467537205_n.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back