• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take educated guess?

Are you sure you are tdc on the compression stroke. Pull #1 plug, put your finger over hole and crank slowly by hand. You should feel pressure on your finger. It can only happen with intake and exhaust valve closed.

Are you sure you are tdc on the compression stroke. Pull #1 plug, put your finger over hole and crank slowly by hand. You should feel pressure on your finger. It can only happen with intake and exhaust valve closed.
Can't hurt to recheck. Ok think we had it on exhaust stroke. Now, it is def on the compression stroke, plenty of pressure on my finger. However now dist rotor is pointed downward at No.2 cylinder. Don't think that's a good thing, lol.

Attachments

• 1111151445.jpg
    1111151445.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
That doesn't mean your on the compression stroke.

We cranked the engine with a finger on spark plug hole. The compression nearly blew finger out of the whole...and the mark on the harmonic balancer is at 0 on the timing tab (bumped the motor a tad to get it there). If this isnt compression stroke what is? The dist rotor wants to be pointed at No.1 cylinder I'm guessing.

I was responding to the post that you edited out. The one that says you stuck a wire in there and when it moved you thought you were on the compression stroke. If you want help, that's fine. If you want to edit post after someone has responded, don't expect any help. If your sure your on the comp stroke, put a mark on distributor housing that says this is # 1 and line your rotor with that. Now drop the distributor back in place.. When starting, leave distributor bolt just snug enough to move distributor. More than likely it will have to be advanced(turn clockwise) Have someone turn the key while you make the adjustment from the front. Add a small amount of fuel to carb before turning.

I was responding to the post that you edited out. The one that says you stuck a wire in there and when it moved you thought you were on the compression stroke. If you want help, that's fine. If you want to edit post after someone has responded, don't expect any help. If your sure your on the comp stroke, put a mark on distributor housing that says this is # 1 and line your rotor with that. Now drop the distributor back in place.. When starting, leave distributor bolt just snug enough to move distributor. More than likely it will have to be advanced(turn clockwise) Have someone turn the key while you make the adjustment from the front. Add a small amount of fuel to carb before turning.
Wow...no need to get panties in a bunch.....relax. We figured out anyways...UH without help.

Without help.???? You have post after post of people helping you. By a service manual and read it!

Auto Transport Service
Back