• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking Up New Residence

Found one bolt under the seat frame. I haven't tried it yet but it could be for the seat back adjustment, to set the backs position?
View attachment 586979

This chrome piece has to go on first. Then the frames.
View attachment 586975
View attachment 586977
View attachment 586978
View attachment 586982

Finally got them installed. Looks like a different car inside. Has that "New Car Smell"!
View attachment 586984 View attachment 586985
View attachment 586987 View attachment 586986
Now that is a beautiful interior. Mine is all cloth and drab.

If God ever grants me both a)the life span and strength and b)the wherewithal to do so,
I'm going to get another car one day and do 'er up "John's way", using his posts here
as a sort of "bible".
I've never in my life actually done one "right" - they've all been compromises, usually
over money available.
I'd like to do one correctly before I'm gone - and you could do a lot worse than following
some of these FBBO guys' threads on here to go by.

Diran Yazejian was a super nice guy along with his wife that was also there

OH MY GOD! You got to meet Diran Yazejian? I have his concept dwgs for the 69 Charger enlarged - huge - on my walls! Is he still alive? That guy is fantastic! I would love to see his other stuff.
THIS guy can draw!

image.png image.jpeg

OH MY GOD! You got to meet Diran Yazejian? I have his concept dwgs for the 69 Charger enlarged - huge - on my walls! Is he still alive? That guy is fantastic! I would love to see his other stuff.
THIS guy can draw!

View attachment 1203083 View attachment 1203084

Diran was great to talk to. Real down to earth and loved to talk about his past with Chrysler. Might be a chance that he'll be at Chryslers at Carlisle again in 2022. The Foward Look club is becoming more popular at the event. Diran wasn't evolved with the Foward Look cars but was there during the changeover to the B Bodies. His knowledge of the second generation Charger is unreal.

Gordon Davis was know for the Foward Look cars and is quite the artist too. I have a deap respect for any artist with these talents. He later was involved with the turbine cars and had lots of his drawings there as did Darin Yazejian. Maybe the Charger turbine concept drawing you posted the other day was one of Gordon's drawings? I forgot to look.

Thanks for posting these drawings that you own. They're wonderful :thumbsup:

Now that is a beautiful interior. Mine is all cloth and drab.

Well the 500s had all vinyl. My rear seat, door cards and rear quarter cards are original. The two bucket seats were shot so I had them recovered with the original factory material. I spent more money on doing those two seats than anything else on the build but it was worth it to preserve the look.

I've seen many 62-65s with the cloth interiors and I like them just as much. Its unreal how many different colors and materials they offered back then.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Melts my hear, makes my BP go up, almost can't take my eyes off of that car!

Thanks for posting these drawings that you own. They're wonderful :thumbsup:

I have a wall just for Chargers and that print of the front grill is enlarged to a width of three feet! It's slightly exaggerated but it really captures this car.

KhryslerKid, Hi again, What color ACC carpeting and Floormats did you order? Is that Rose Beige?

Received the seal from Dr. Diff this morning. It's a double ridge seal like factory but the heavy metal lip isn't there. No biggie. The number on it is 7216 and that comes up as a "National" seal. Well those are all leather so I'm not sure what make Dr. Diffs are. His are neoprene.
View attachment 598473
View attachment 598476

Broke my 250# torque wrench. I had it set at 150# for the first go around. Then stepped it up to 240# and broke the adjuster knob on the end of the handle. At least it didn't affect the spring mechanism and I got a good torque.

Reinstalled the driveshaft, topped up the gear lube.
View attachment 598477

Then I moved on to the crooked steering wheel. Last time it was aligned it wasn't held while doing the adjustments. So I just mark the floor with some tape, use a 2' square against the tire and on the floor and make a mark front and back of the wheel. I do both fronts to keep track of the adjustment that I'm going to do.
View attachment 598479

The steering wheel was leaning to the left so I shortened the tie rod link on the left side and lengthen the tie rod link on the right side. Same amount on both sides, ended up taking only a half of a turn each. Man I hate when they do that on an alignment.

While I had the front end up and the suspension hanging, I gave each torsion bar adjuster one turn. The 440 is a bit heavier than the original 361. It made a slight difference, I'm not going too crazy on them.
View attachment 598481
I ordered a four piece floor mat set by ACC. Got them through Summit. Nobody list these for a '62 Dodge. So I ordered a set for a '62 Savoy. What do you know, they fit. Ordered the same color and loop (no logo) as the ACC carpet that I used. ($103)
View attachment 598482 View attachment 598483 View attachment 598484

KK, Thanks for those tips, I will make sure to do both, I like your recomend about the low cost insulation too. What color is your door trim as well?

Yes it was Rose Beige. Might want to try and order it in a flat box. The date on the box I received was 2011 and was badly creased. Also if you're already using a sound deadner, have them leave the jute off.

I'm liking your "Foward Look" avatar :thumbsup:

KK, Thanks for those tips, I will make sure to do both, I like your recomend about the low cost insulation too. What color is your door trim as well?

Interior vinyl is Rose Beige also. It seems that Ford back then were using close to the same colors. I found Eckler's has the Rose Beige that's a really good match for the interior color.
20180323_092715.jpg

When doing the scratched up glove box door I used the same paint but used clear over it.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...p-new-residence.114133/page-36#post-911944278

The inexpensive insulation I ordered from Home Depot but they haven't had it for quite sometime now. I even tried contacting the company they got it from with no luck.

Just read the entire thread, man, great write ups and very interesting read. This is how I want to do my 66s. Keep updating this even if it's car shows you've been to.

I need some cake...after looking at my sweet Barracuda!
046.JPG

Christmas Eve, 70º in Lex.KY
DSC_2491.jpeg

I had cleaned up the E-brake assembly months ago so got it out and did some painting and reassembled.
Any pics of what the threaded piece for the e-brake in the dash looks like?

I'm guessing the chrome plate is the same as the heater fan, without the lettered insert, and the threaded piece must not be a full circle.

Not sure what the small hole is for, as one couldn't turn the back threaded piece into the front chrome piece, and if the chrome piece had a stud for the small hole one couldn't screw it on.

I took 2 dashes apart and cannot find the correct part.

20220612_102443.jpg

20220612_103458.jpg

Any pics of what the threaded piece for the e-brake in the dash looks like?

I'm guessing the chrome plate is the same as the heater fan, without the lettered insert, and the threaded piece must not be a full circle.

Not sure what the small hole is for, as one couldn't turn the back threaded piece into the front chrome piece, and if the chrome piece had a stud for the small hole one couldn't screw it on.

I took 2 dashes apart and cannot find the correct part.

View attachment 1297716

View attachment 1297718

Nothing in the small hole. The flats clock the threaded end.
20220612_110151.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you!
I have 2 of those, can't find either one, found a full round one, but I'm not drilling my dash.
Thanks again.

Well, for the next few weeks or months, I'll be living here!
View attachment 346110

Finally after all this time, I'm at the point where I can make some headway on this car. Finished the engine build last week so that gave me the green light to yank out the original 361hp. I'm not going to disassemble anything until I have the replacement parts ready. If this was a rotisserie build, it might go a little different.

I decided to pull the engine and trans together. Man that's a tight fit and I won't be installing the new engine the same way. (Looks like I'm in the market for a trans stand/jack of somekind). I had to stop halfway, set the oil pan on the K frame and readjust the chains. Then the oil filter had to come off. Then the water pump was interfering with the hoist so I took it off, and that just made it. I've pulled the engine and trans together before but normally we were junking the car. I thought I was in trouble once or twice but we got her out.

Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure...
View attachment 346120
View attachment 346123
View attachment 346124
View attachment 346125
Rust! The radiator weights a ton!
View attachment 346126
Original fuel pump? Check out the push rod plug!
View attachment 346127
Over due for a valve cover gasket?
View attachment 346129
And frost plugs?
View attachment 346130
View attachment 346128

I took pictures as I disassembled, so if anyone needs pics to see how things come apart, with instructions, just pm me. Park cable, shifter cable, speedometer cable, e-brake cables, exhaust, wiring, ect. This is a 95% original, untouched 1962 Dodge Polara 500...
Makes you wonder how people got down the road, no spacer on the alternator if you would have tightened the bolt the alternator would have locked up.

Auto Transport Service
Back