• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tapered axle upgrade??

Would you upgrade a tapered axle 8-3/4??

• Total voters
I know you guys are scattered everywhere and see some cream puffs now and then.....but us schmucks in the rust belt really can appreciate finding something this clean!!
1656856325038.png

I have used SSLines, good stuff!

Has anybody used Dutchman axles? They advertise a '63 only pair. I am also looking at longer studs 'cause I bought a pair of Weld wheels with new slicks. Can I use '65 11" drums without any mods?

2000 I did my 64 Sport Fury with a 66 Dodge Coronet wagon axle.
New 10x2 1/2 Drums shoes etc.
For springs I found a good set of GTX that I used with the 64 main ply.
Now prices of used rust balls thru the roof don't know what I'd do.

My 64 has it's factory Sure-Grip tapered axle rear. Put 65 drums on it with new studs, drums are now separate and pull right off.
My 62 was an open leaking mess, I went with all new Diff stuff, 3.55s, new axles, brakes, driveshaft.

On another note, I painted the housing with Eastwood rust stuff then top coated with Rustoleum primer/paint combo.
Had a leaky fitting that wouldn't stop, finally got it to seat, brake fluid all over the fresh housing, but no paint loss.

maxwedgechar, Don't know about Dutchman Axles.
I did my 63 with Dr.Diff parts. Axles with long studs,bearings installed and longer axle flange studs as the taper axle studs are too short when doing the conversion.
Yes you can use the 65 11' drums and backing plates.
There will be several questions you will have to answer as far as axle length because of what year and type of sure grip you are using.
His name is Cass.I have been buying from him for years. Has a good web site and will answer questions. He does many shows so if you E-mail it may take a few days for a answer.

@Darter6 Thanks, I know of Dr Diff. I have been there several times wandering around. My friend installed the 4.11s and at the same time I measured the axles. They are the correct length for a '63 with 742 housing and SureGrip.

They are the correct length for a '63 with 742 housing and SureGrip.
Just to be clear in my head...the axles for a '63 housing to which you and Darter6 refer are no longer tapered axles correct??

change backing plates as the taper axle ones are different.
Thx for the info.... I assume any backing plates (or whole brake assy) from any '65 and later should work?? I have complete drum assy's that came of an S-60 out in the shop.

Thx for the info.... I assume any backing plates (or whole brake assy) from any '65 and later should work?? I have complete drum assy's that came of an S-60 out in the shop.

They should work. Just remember the backing plate has to match the drum. 10", 11" and also the width as in 2 1/2" ect.

Has anyone tried these guys?... they're in Ohio.

[/URL][/URL]

$$$EDIT$$$ forgot to mention PST also.... they have brake lines and members here will qualify for a discount!!

Also Inlinetubes. They were at Chryslers at Carlisle the year I needed mine. Bought the whole shebang, brake, fuel lines. They had them in stock at the show. Not all bent up like they do when shipped and no shipping fees.

Little follow up...there was mention of this webpage and his drum conversion, retaining the tapered axles and hubs, yet changing over to the '65 and up type drums..

Mopar Tapered Axle Brakes

I ordered the parts thru NAPA, same as he did, to see if this can still be accomplished (as it is an older conversion in the webpage). Sure enough, drums look like they are easily available....wheel studs it appears that they had to scrounge multiple warehouses throughout the rust belt to come up with the eleven I had asked for. But the stuff is available..... more parts and details to follow.

Little follow up...there was mention of this webpage and his drum conversion, retaining the tapered axles and hubs, yet changing over to the '65 and up type drums..

Mopar Tapered Axle Brakes

I ordered the parts thru NAPA, same as he did, to see if this can still be accomplished (as it is an older conversion in the webpage). Sure enough, drums look like they are easily available....wheel studs it appears that they had to scrounge multiple warehouses throughout the rust belt to come up with the eleven I had asked for. But the stuff is available..... more parts and details to follow.

Big started this thread the other day with part numbers that he used...
Thread 'Converting early taper axles/hubs to use later removable brake drums and all RH lug studs.' Converting early taper axles/hubs to use later removable brake drums and all RH lug studs.

Little follow up to anyone still tuned in.... although not likely the popular vote...I plan to keep the tapered axles, purely based on the vintage appearance, and I'm upgrading the whole assembly where I can do so without affecting the cosmetics. I happened to have a 742 chunk to replace the 741 and will be adding a steeper geared and a Sure-trac II, as I could not find a true Detroit Locker (my first choice) in stock anywhere. I'll repost with further progress soon...trying to figure out how to accomplish axle end play now, if it's not within spec...I have a separate post about it.

Auto Transport Service
Back